VSTTExecution popping up in event viewer RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed windows 7 pro on a virtual machine (virualBox) and installed visual studio 2013 ultimate with update 4.

When I reopen a solution I've created (I've created a blank web forms project and add a web performance or load test project, blank as well.) I get multiple VSTTExecution errors occuring in event viewer. I don't if there isn't a test project attached to the solution. I'm running the machine with full administrator privilages and VS2013 running as administrator. There is no firewall/antivirus installed on these instances for the purpose of narrowing down the issue.

If I add multiple web tests and call these web tests from a single web test, I get a pages of this same error in event viewer, sometimes visual studio hangs and crashes/closes. Sometimes I get a window popup stating

Title: "invalidoperationexception" Message: "collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute"

This issue is also occuring when vs2013 is installed on windows 8.1

I've also attempted this on a VM that had VS2010 ultimate and not only did it crash visual studio 2013 90% of the time, previous projects that had multiple web tests would only run individually, running all web tests from from a single web test call threw an exception (which I don't have at this moment in time)

I've search for this particular error and have found nothing really that fits the bill other than connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/533560/tons-of-vsttexecution-hierarchyoutputcollection-getoutputgroup-errors-logged-in-vs-net

I've reproduced this multiple times on a VM and outside a VM. I've also had this issue occur on different physical machines. I don't really know where else to go with this so I hope someone is able to help. Thanks

Error in event viewr that pops up

The description for Event ID 0 from source VSTTExecution cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

(devenv.exe, PID 3956, Thread 1) HierarchyOutputCollection.GetOutputGroup: either buildManager.FindActiveProjectCfg or projectCfg[0].OpenOutputGroup failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Vsip.HierarchyOutputCollection.GetOutputGroup(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, IVsHierarchy hierarchy)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Monday, November 17, 2014 1:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Crystal,

I've submitted it as a bug in VS2013.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedbackdetail/view/1032484/hundreds-of-vsttexecution-showing-in-event-viewer

I am surprised this isn't posted in more places because it doesn't appear to be machine specific. It is causing issues for us as it means VS2010 web performance tests (when calling multiple from one web test) throws an exception and halts the test from being run. Running the tests individually isn't an issue, but when you have 100s, it becomes a problem.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:07 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Fozulu,

Thank you for posting this issue in Visual Studio test forums.

It seems that there is something wrong on Visual Studio 2013 web tests. Since you got this issue on multiple machines, would you please create a connect report for it to get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team? You will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx, if you submit it, you could share us the link here, so we could know the latest information from the Product team expert. And I will help you to vote it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:12 AM
  • Hi Crystal,

I've submitted it as a bug in VS2013.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedbackdetail/view/1032484/hundreds-of-vsttexecution-showing-in-event-viewer

I am surprised this isn't posted in more places because it doesn't appear to be machine specific. It is causing issues for us as it means VS2010 web performance tests (when calling multiple from one web test) throws an exception and halts the test from being run. Running the tests individually isn't an issue, but when you have 100s, it becomes a problem.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:07 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:44 AM
  • Hi FoZulu,

Thank you for your response. I voted your Microsoft Connect. And since this issue was reported to Microsoft product team, then it is in their support range, Microsoft engineer will provide support for you better. I will close this thread through marking your reply as a temporary ‘answer’ on the forum side, which will be beneficial for other members when they use forums. Meanwhile I will continue to follow the Microsoft Connect. Once an answer is provided, I will help to post in this thread.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:07 AM