none
Connection between program and servers for data transmission RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I want to make a program that can connect itself to my servers for sending and getting data such as updating a database or ... in my server.

What I think that it is not logical to do the download and upload method. I mean If my program is supposed to download a database and make the changes in data and upload it again every time , huge amount of time is needed. It won't be as quick as doing the changes in the same database in hard drive. What methods can help me do such a job ? I need a method than can be performed quickly something like standby connection type (direct connecting so quickly if needed ) between my program and a database in my server , so that program can do the changes without any downloading or re uploading.

I would appreciate your help

• Edited by Kevin993 Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:48 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:43 PM

Answers

• You might want to look at Client/Server Architectural Style.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/msp-n-p/ee658117(v=pandp.10)

• Marked as answer by Kevin993 Sunday, December 23, 2018 11:07 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

• Where is the database e.g. in the cloud, Azure, network server etc. ?
    • What type if database e.g. SQL-Server, MS-Access, MySql, Oracle etc. ?

In regards to a "quick" connection, there are many variables that can outweigh the idea for this. Even the most populate method to connect with a database online (Entity Framework) does not keep a connection waiting or cached.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 7:39 PM
  • Hello,

• Where is the database e.g. in the cloud, Azure, network server etc. ?
    • What type if database e.g. SQL-Server, MS-Access, MySql, Oracle etc. ?

In regards to a "quick" connection, there are many variables that can outweigh the idea for this. Even the most populate method to connect with a database online (Entity Framework) does not keep a connection waiting or cached.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

consider MS-Access database stored in server. I know that I can make changes to files in the server using FTP commands. But it isn't like a live and open session between program and the database in the server.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 9:59 PM
  • You might want to look at Client/Server Architectural Style.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/msp-n-p/ee658117(v=pandp.10)

• Marked as answer by Kevin993 Sunday, December 23, 2018 11:07 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 10:27 PM