none
Can't connect to IPV6 WCF service in C# client using VS2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to connect to a service which is in a IPV6 address using VS2013, but when I map the address I get "There was no endpoint listening at ..." I did used the brackets on the address but no luck. The same service using WSE client works ok, but not with WCF.

• Moved by Sabah ShariqMVP Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:39 PM Related to WCF
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:03 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:27 PM
  • Hi Pablo,

This is C# forum. As your issue is related to WCF I am moving your thread to WCF forum for getting quick response.

Thanks,
    Sabah Shariq

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:39 PM
  • Hi pablothxx,

Could you share us how you implement your service in IPV6 address? Do you mean you could connect from WSE client, but failed from WCF client for the same WCF Service? It would be helpful if you could share us how you create your WCF Service and WCF Client.

I made a test with netTcpBinding and IPV6 base address, it could be found by adding service reference, and it works correctly.

To check whether it is specific to IPV6, if you host your service with IPV4, will it work from your client side?

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:18 AM
  • Hi, I can't publish images yet due to  email's verification. 

So I will explain a simple example I did:

1- I created a simple WCF service and then I locally published locally in port 80.

2- Then I verified that it works by accessing via firefox borwser using the IPV6 address or localhost/service1.svc

3- When I try to consume by VS2013 I cannot reference using the IPV6 address, but reference works using localhost/service1.svc. 

So I think it should work in both ways right?

Thanks,

Pablo.

• Edited by Pablothx Monday, October 17, 2016 6:08 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2016 6:08 PM
  • Hi pablothxx,

Did you host your service in IIS or IIS Express? I made a test with below steps, it works.

1. Create a simple WCF Service, change Web->Servers->Local IIS->Project URL->” http://localhost/WCFIPV”
    2. Build project, and browser the url “http://[xxxx:f801:18:43b:54cb:e86c:194a:3a73]/WCFIPV/Service1.svc” from IE, it works.
    3. Add Service Reference by this address in VS 2013, it works.

Based on your description, your address is “localhost/service1.svc”, did you host your service under default Web site? I suggest you try above steps.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:49 AM
  • Hi Edward! Thanks for checking!

I tried your solution but didn't work for me. So you mean you added the IPV6 address "http://[xxxx:f801:18:43b:54cb:e86c:194a:3a73]/WCFIPV/Service1.svc" to the reference in your VS2013 and worked right? I tried the same and I still get same issue.

Have you set any other config I'm missing out?

BTW- I'm using W10

I can see the service in the browser with both addresses (localhost and IPV6).

Also I have a ipv6 and ipv4 address in my config.

Thanks,

Pablo.

• Edited by Pablothx Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:53 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:49 PM
  • Hi pablothxx,

I did not change anything in code or configuration file, I only follow above steps. I suggest you share us a screen shot about IPV6 address in IE and VS, you could upload screen shot to OneDrive and share us link here.

For another way, I suggest you try svcutil.exe tool to generate client code.

Best Regards,

Edward

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:05 AM