none
Update the excel addin automatically without installing after upgrading from .net framework 3.5 to .netframework 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have excel which was developed in .NET framework 3.5(VS2010 and office 2010).To resolve the touch issues I have upgraded the application from .NET framework 3.5 to .NET framework 4.0.I have published the application to the same network folder which I have used to publish 3.5 bits. Previously when I have published then the add in update the customization automatically on load of the add in as it is a click once deployment. But after changing the .NET framework the add in customization is not getting updated automatically and I am getting the below error

Exception reading the manifest from file: location of the published bits. The manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.

But when I have published the 3.5 framework bits then the add in updated automatically.

Please help me in resolving this issue asap.

Thanks,

Meenakshi Nagpal

N.Meenakshi

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Meenakshi,

Please take a look at the ClickOnce does not update framework if target gets changed forum threads which states the following:

The .NET Framework is not part of the ClickOnce application deployment, it is installed by the bootstrapper along with any other prerequisites that you deploy, and the ClickOnce app doesn't know anything about it.

One way to handle this is to have your application programmatically uninstall itself and kick off a reinstall with a link pointing to a new deployment that targets .NET 3.5.

Also you may find the Change target framework ClickOnce Deployment forum threads helpful too.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Hi,

If you changed the target .net framework from 3.5 to 4.0, the dependent assemblies would be changed both in the project and the manifest.

You need to uninstall and reinstall the add-in.

For more information, please refer to Certificate Expiration in ClickOnce Deployment:

There are several criteria that go into figuring out if your customers will have to uninstall and reinstall your application—the type of updates (manual or automatic), the version of the .NET Framework that you are targeting, the type of application (Office/WinForms/WPF/Console), and maybe even your astrological sign (or so it seems).

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Meenakshi,

Please remember if you develop and distribute the add-in you need to include the required prerequisites such as .Net framework, VSTO runtime and etc. But if you just publish a new update the prerequisites are not checked.

Most probably you don't have .Net framework 4.0 installed on the target PC. Is this the case?

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

I have added the prerequisite in my application and I am checking in the machine in which .Net framework 4.0 is already installed.

Thanks,

Meenakshi Nagpal

N.Meenakshi

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:36 AM
  • Hi Meenakshi,

Please take a look at the ClickOnce does not update framework if target gets changed forum threads which states the following:

The .NET Framework is not part of the ClickOnce application deployment, it is installed by the bootstrapper along with any other prerequisites that you deploy, and the ClickOnce app doesn't know anything about it.

One way to handle this is to have your application programmatically uninstall itself and kick off a reinstall with a link pointing to a new deployment that targets .NET 3.5.

Also you may find the Change target framework ClickOnce Deployment forum threads helpful too.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Hi,

If you changed the target .net framework from 3.5 to 4.0, the dependent assemblies would be changed both in the project and the manifest.

You need to uninstall and reinstall the add-in.

For more information, please refer to Certificate Expiration in ClickOnce Deployment:

There are several criteria that go into figuring out if your customers will have to uninstall and reinstall your application—the type of updates (manual or automatic), the version of the .NET Framework that you are targeting, the type of application (Office/WinForms/WPF/Console), and maybe even your astrological sign (or so it seems).

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:54 AM
  • Thank you for confirming my last post, George.
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

I want one more help from you. I want to add office 2010 pre interop assemblies and adomd.net as prerequisites to my setup. But when I checked in prerequisites dialog I am not able to see those softwares.I have checked in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\Office2010PIARedist folder is available and the msi also available in that location.i am using windows 8 machine.In the below location I am not able to see packcge for adomd.net. folder

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages

I have added the adomd.net folder in the above location still I cant see the option in prerequisites dialog.To add adomd.net as prerequisite to my application what should I do.Please help me.

Thanks,

Meenakshi Nagpal

N.Meenakshi

Thursday, February 6, 2014 1:23 PM
  • Hi Meenakshi,

First of all, I'd recommend asking separate questions in new forum threads. Thus, it will prevent different questions and answers mixed in the thread. Moreover, other forum readers can recognize answers easily.

Anyway, it looks like your question is not related to VSTO at all. I'd suggest asking such questions in the Visual Studio related forums.

Finally, you can modify the list of prerequisites listed in the dialog. See the similar forum thread for details - Adding Custom prerequsites to visual studio setup project .  

Thursday, February 6, 2014 1:43 PM