Creating multiple pages in SL and Sketchflow that represent one another RRS feed

• Question

• I have this big website I am working from scratch. I created one page ( now I have about 50). They all have similar look and feel with some data that is different in grids. Headers, Nav, etc are the same. How do I go about ( if too late now, go forward for next project) to make a Template ( not duplicate) a page, so the  size of the project doesn't increase enormously. I find that everything I duplicate -I get out of memory exception and the zip files are very big.

Does Blend offer a template type of page or do I need to keep making duplicates ??

Anyway of converting Blend to a HTML project or am I pushing my luck here?

LB

Monday, May 21, 2012 4:10 PM

All replies

• You probably want to investigate creating your own control/user control. If you search for "Silverlight UserControl" you should find plenty of tutorials that can help teach you about them.

In SketchFlow, you can use a Component Screen. It is a fancy name for the same technique as making your own UserControl.

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:18 PM
  • thanks Chuck, once again.

So if I make a start screen and then add a component one to that, and so on and so on, that should work? I guess I can always change as I go along. SO If I make a change on one screen, those component screens will change too???

LB

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:20 PM
  • If you change the component screen itself, it will reflect that change every place you have used the component. An example would be a menu bar component screen. You could include the same menu in lots of places, but only need to update it in a single place.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:23 PM
  • oh, like an Includes?

I will try it -

if I have question I will ask you again :)

BTW, any URL's or examples I can see visually?

thanks!

LB

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Both of these mention it:

http://www.wpftutorial.net/SketchFlow.html

http://silverzine.com/tutorials/getting-in-depth-with-sketchflow/

Neither are very in depth about it though.

You can try it yourself pretty easily:

1. Create a SketchFlow project
    2. Create a component screen in the map
    3. Draw some content into the new component screen
    4. Drag the component screen into your start screen, and another regular screen that you created
    5. Change the content in the component screen, you will see that it changes in both of the other screens.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:00 PM
  • thanks you sooooo much

LB

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:05 PM