none
move to other pc RRS feed

• Question

• hi

i want to move my vb.net source code file to other computer. and remaining code on 2nd computer.  how can i do this.

2. i want to keep my sql server database file in d drive. 

actually in my computer virus shift and ctrl key not work that's why i reinstall the window.  that,s why i save the work and after window installation i start my work again.

thank you

MUHAMMAD ANZAR E-mail : muhammadanzar@hotmail.com Mobile # :0092-3215096959

Friday, February 8, 2019 10:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In advance, sorry, if I misunderstand what you want to do.

1. is easy to do.
      Please save your project FOLDER to a USB memory (or network drive), and copy it into other (2nd) computer. 

2. would be easy to do.
      If your sql database is still left in the same drive (on the same computer),
      (a) make the computer shared with 2nd computer
      (b) modify your vb.net source code (in 2nd computer), i.e. change connection string (referring to 2nd computer) 

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- https://ssl01.rocketnet.jp/hokusosha.com/default.html

Friday, February 8, 2019 10:37 AM
  • Hello,

>how can i do this.
    I think that the best option will be to ask some company who provide printing service to allow you print your source code on there paper and send printed source code to the address where the second computer are located. Then you can type your source code on the second computer. This for shure should completely eliminate the virus. :)))

>file in d drive. 
    If so far you didn't use a permanent marker to put a sign "D" on your hard drive with database file - it's for definitely time to do so! Just remember - put the drive in safe place after you put a mark on it... better - ask some kind of antivirus medicine and put it in the same place. :)))

-----

You have your first PC in the non-working condition.Depends on what the virus you have and how was configured your PC you may:
    have your files back after run "Repairment" for your OS 
    - do not have your file recovered even if you connect your hard drive to working PC with best antivirus.

Regards to the level of knowledge indicated in your question I would recommend to ask someone who know what to do to assist you on your "recovery procedure". Other way you, most likely, will loose all data on your hard drive.

Sincerely, Highly skilled coding monkey.

Friday, February 8, 2019 10:42 AM
  • 1. is easy to do. 
      Please save your project FOLDER to a USB memory (or network drive), and copy it into other (2nd) computer. 

-----

Excellent!!! Exactly what needed for non-working PC!!!

1. Need to find a way how to transfer "Project Folder" to USB on non-working PC. The best option - manage everything from device connected to USB and keep PC unpowered.

2. New copy of the virus will be successfully transfered to the second PC and any other PC's where USB device will be connected. 

3. Using network drive also one of the best options - many people will have option to successfully get a virus from network drive... 

Sincerely, Highly skilled coding monkey.

Friday, February 8, 2019 10:55 AM
  • Thinking this way in regards to copying source code to another computer is unwise. Instead I highly recommend learning to use GIT (see this blog post).

Once you have an account (it's free) it takes several clicks to get on your way.

When signing into GitHub in Visual Studio and working on a project you can see what has changed and what has not changed e.g. the red checkmark represents one or more changes while the blue icon represents unchanged code.

By Sync'ing to the repository both computers can share the same code or even if the code is on one computer a bonus, if something goes wrong in code or code is lost it's still in the repository with history of changes.

I write a lot of code samples and need access to them on more than two computers so using Git is great for that e.g..

Another option is to use Microsoft TFS, here I'm at home and have access to 1) a project 2) a teaching project.

In regards to SQL-Server, see the following.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, February 8, 2019 1:00 PM