Application can't browse the file system on WES7 RRS feed

• Question

• We have an application running on WES7 which has a menu to select a file.  On Windows 7, the user can browse the file system in order to select a file.  Even with a system based on the Application Compatibility template, this does not work on WES7.   Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Kary

Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:35 PM

All replies

• What was the application writen in - C#, VB6, java?

If you used the Application Compatibility template, there shouldn't be any thing missing from the OS except a driver package.  Did you try running the static analysis tool in ICE to see what gets pulled in for packages and extra DLLs?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET
    Friday, December 30, 2011 1:21 AM
  • I'm now using a PC to reproduce the problem.  I've got WIN7 (32-bit) on one partition and a reference machine with WES7 (64-bit) on another partition.  (I usually run WES7 on a 64-bit embedded system.)

The app was written in C++ and built with Visual Studio 10.0.  It's a 32 bit application.   The app can browse the file system when run on WIN7 and on XP.  On WES7, it displays a window to browse for files but no file browser is displayed.

I am using the Application Compatibility template.

I downloaded and ran the MS Dependency Walker on WIN7 and loaded app.  I did the same for WES7.  On comparison, there are DLLs listed for WIN7 that are not listed for the same executable on WES7.  There is also a slight difference in COMCTL32.dll and in GDIPLUS.dll.

Extra WIN7 dlls (all from \windows\system32):

AVRT,DLL, D2D1, D3D10_1, D3D10_1, D3D8THK, D3D9, DWRITE, DXGI, EAPPPRXY, EVR, IEADVPACK, KSUSER, MF, MFPLAT, MFREADWRITE, MSACM32, NLAAPI, ONEX, PRNTVPT, SSPICLI, SYSNTFY, WLANAPI, WLANUTIL, WMDRMSDK.

I have no idea if this is a clue or a red herring.  I'm going to explore each of the DLLs...

I must not be specifying something that the application needs for the file system browsing.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 7:06 PM
  • So, why would the same application (the same image) show different dependencies (via depends.exe) on WES7 vs. WIN7?

Kary

Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hi KaryR:

WES 7 is a embedded system . it don't include the full WIN7's dll files  So you should choose the right package in ICE which can support your application  and rebuild the new WES 7 system.

There are some tools can help you find the dependent packages .such as :depends.exe / ICE .

Friday, February 3, 2012 2:07 AM