none
Installable File System Filter Test failures with CreatePagingFileTest and EncryptDecryptFileTest RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm running tests for Anti-Virus Filter driver and getting two failures in Installable File System Filter Test.  Below errors are copied from the log of test on NTFS volume but they are similar on all other volumes except UDF.

1214.1218 :  +TEST+SEV2      : Test         :CreatePagingFileTest
    Group        :OpenCreateGeneral
    Status       :C000001E (IFSTEST_TEST_NTAPI_FAILURE_CODE)
    LastNtStatus     :00000000 STATUS_SUCCESS
    ExpectedNtStatus :C00000BB STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED
    Description  :{Msg# OpCreatG!crpagef!11b} NtCreatePagingFile should
                  return STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED on UDFS and
                  STATUS_INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST on a suprise removal
                  media.RemovableMedia 0, RemovalPolicy 2, VirtualDisk
    WDKTUID: A72C4D26-977B-19CB-2E11-D6F93917D718

testsrc\basetest\core_file_services\ifs_test_kit\code\main\main.c Line: 1275 
    Error Type:    
    Error Code:   0x0 
    Error Text:   Error 0x00000000 

Fail Repro:   ifstest.exe g: -g Virus /n Ifstest-Local-NtfsResults.log /N 356789AB /T /p /m /E /j /r c: -d \Ntfs -a \datacoh.exe /u ifstest /U *rw53w52

1214.1218 :  +TEST+SEV2      : Test         :EncryptionAttributeTest
    Group        :Encryption
    Status       :C0000058 (IFSTEST_TEST_WIN32_FAILURE)
    Description  :{Msg# encrypt!encrattr!16} Failure while attempting
                  the EncryptFile function. GetLastError() = 50 expected
                  5. This operation should have failed on this filesystem
                  since encryption is not supported. 
    WDKTUID: A72C4D26-977B-19CB-2E11-D6F93917D718

testsrc\basetest\core_file_services\ifs_test_kit\code\main\main.c Line: 1275 
    Error Type:    
    Error Code:   0x0 
    Error Text:   Error 0x00000000 

Fail Repro:   ifstest.exe g: -g Virus /n Ifstest-Local-NtfsResults.log /N 356789AB /T /p /m /E /j /r c: -d \Ntfs -a \datacoh.exe /u ifstest /U *rw53w52 

The tests will fail even if I unload all of our drivers.  These failures make no sense to me: for CreatePagingFileTest why is NtCreatePagingFile expected to fail on _NTFS_; for EncryptionAttributeTest the EncryptFile call failure with error code 50 ("The request is not supported") seems sensible, this being on Windows 8 Basic that does not support file encryption.

Any ideas, am I doing something wrong or is this a problem with the tests?  Regarding the EncryptionAttributeTest issue, should I be testing on Windows 8 Pro instead?

Best Regards, Urmas

Friday, February 8, 2013 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hello - I am having the same EXACT failure on my test systems (Windows 8 Enterprise) as your first error (not the second one you see).  The error message seems to make no sense, as the volumes on which it is failing are NOT removable, and are not UDF.  It seems to me that the response of STATUS_SUCCESS in this case is appropriate.

My driver is a simple activity monitor mini filter.  This looks to me like an issue with the test configuration or the HCK software somehow.  As in your case, the test fails even without our driver on the stack.

Microsoft rejected my submission because of this error.  I need help too!

Someone from MS please respond to this thread, and/or the emails I keep sending sysdev@microsoft.com?

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:21 PM
  • Urmas -

I was experiencing these same failures as noted in my earlier post.  Lots of deep digging (and no help from Microsoft) led me to discover that in my case, the disk(s) that hosted the test volumes (drive letters with different file system types for the test) were set as "hot pluggable" SCSI drives.  In my case, I am using a VMWare infrastructure for the target test machines which was presenting the virtual disk as removable.

I see in your output you also have a "Virtual Disk" on your test machine.  I fixed this problem by setting the "device.hotplug" property for the virtual machine to "false".  This made the volume appear to the OS as fixed, and removed the issue you are seeing with the test.

A link to that setting for VMWare is here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012225

Let me know if this helps solve your problem too.

- Andy

• Proposed as answer by andyfanton Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:21 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:21 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the tip.  I'm running this on a "real" PC (not virtual), but indeed the hard disk appears as ejectable on the notification tray.  I'll see if I can change the hardware setup on this machine to make the test pass.

BR, Urmas

Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:35 AM
  • Unfortunately it seems I'm stuck with this.  Nothing I did in BIOS settings or otherwise solved the problem, Windows 8 still thinks this is a removable hard disk, with option to eject it using the system tray icon.  Device capabilities value in registry for the drive is 0x64 (CM_DEVCAP_REMOVABLE set, see http://helgeklein.com/blog/2012/04/removing-eject-vmware-virtual-disk-scsi-disk-device/).  Looks like this test won't pass on this hardware.

I thought that passing the tests on virtual hardware would be even harder, for example will the Sleep & PNP tests pass that have to put the machine to sleep states?  Does MS even accept test results from virtual hardware?

I wish MS would fix the test or then provide us with a specification for a "reference" hardware for running the filter driver tests.  Now we probably have to set up a different hardware (maybe a virtual one) and hope it behaves according to test expectations.

BR, Urmas

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:33 AM