Unexpected Shutdown and VS 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Over the past three days I have experienced few sudden, unexpected shutdowns
    on Windows 7 (Ultimate N). The sequence is screen goes black; five to ten seconds later the computer shuts down and restarts without any message.

System Information:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz 2.93 GHz
    Installed Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
    System type: 32-bit Operating System

This just happened while I working in an application in Visual Studio Professional 2010.

My Application specification:
    ASP.Net MVC2 Web Application
    LINQ 2 Entities
    SQL Server (live database)

What is the root causes of the issue and how to fix?
    If my post is in wrong place, then please guide me where to raise my question.

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, December 4, 2011 2:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Naveed,

You can try the following solutions, see whether this issue still exists.

1. If we reboot the operating system to safe mode, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate whether any other applications are interfering with Visual Studio. Note that some features (like IIS) are not available under safe mode. Please check whether this can apply or not. In addition to safe mode, we can also suggest “clean boot”: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353.

2. If we disable Add-ins (e.g. “Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) and run “devenv.exe /safemode”, do we still have the problem? This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins are causing problems.

3. If we use “devenv.exe /resetsettings”, does it solve the problem? It restores Visual Studio default settings.

4. If the problem remains, we can use Visual Studio Setup Wizard (via Control Panel) to repair Visual Studio. It can restore the Visual Studio Installation into its original state.

If you still cannot solve this issue, please try to check the windows event log to see if there's anything suspicious there. Usually you'll find something there even if there was no message box when the error occurred.

And you might also want to try to update the BIOS to the latest version.

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Naveed A Sunday, December 18, 2011 5:31 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 6:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Naveed,

You can try the following solutions, see whether this issue still exists.

1. If we reboot the operating system to safe mode, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate whether any other applications are interfering with Visual Studio. Note that some features (like IIS) are not available under safe mode. Please check whether this can apply or not. In addition to safe mode, we can also suggest “clean boot”: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353.

2. If we disable Add-ins (e.g. “Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) and run “devenv.exe /safemode”, do we still have the problem? This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins are causing problems.

3. If we use “devenv.exe /resetsettings”, does it solve the problem? It restores Visual Studio default settings.

4. If the problem remains, we can use Visual Studio Setup Wizard (via Control Panel) to repair Visual Studio. It can restore the Visual Studio Installation into its original state.

If you still cannot solve this issue, please try to check the windows event log to see if there's anything suspicious there. Usually you'll find something there even if there was no message box when the error occurred.

And you might also want to try to update the BIOS to the latest version.

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by Naveed A Sunday, December 18, 2011 5:31 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 6:43 AM
  • Thanks Lucy Liu.

I have followed the step 2 & 3 and the problems doesn't arises for 3 days but during last sitting, I have faced once again the same dead screen :(

Here is some details captured from Windows Event Logs.

Windows Error Reporting details are:

Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: WebDev.WebServer20.exe
    P2: 10.0.30319.1
    P3: 4ba204ca
    P4: KERNELBASE.dll
    P5: 6.1.7600.16385
    P6: 4a5bdaae
    P7: e053534f
    P8: 00009617
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_WebDev.WebServer_6f7ffd917b9ceb2e61aaf73274f373e1427f53_147190ff

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: e7f2f772-1f83-11e1-9f14-001f81000100
    Report Status: 0

and Application Error details are:
    Faulting application name: WebDev.WebServer20.exe, version: 10.0.30319.1, time stamp: 0x4ba204ca
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdaae
    Exception code: 0xe053534f
    Fault offset: 0x00009617
    Faulting process id: 0x%9
    Faulting application start time: 0x%10
    Faulting application path: %11
    Faulting module path: %12
    Report Id: %13

Naveed Ahmad
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Hi Naveed,

You can refer to the following article , try the workaround introduced by this article. See whether it is helpful:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tess/archive/2009/03/20/debugging-a-net-crash-with-rules-in-debug-diag.aspx

If this issue remains, you can try to uninstall VS  and then reinstall VS, see whether your computer will shut down unexpected.

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:45 AM
  • I have again faced such unexpected shutdown during Debug /Build start in VS 2010.

I have captured some screen in Windows Event Log.

and

Naveed Ahmad

Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:29 AM