Bug after installer the SP1 with work items RRS feed

• Question

• Since I've installed the SP1 of .Net 3.5 and visual studio 2008, I can't no longer go into my work Items of team explorer. When I try read a work item or to create a new one, I get this exception:

Could not load type 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.WorkItemDeniedOrNotExistsException' from assembly 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f11d50a3a'.

I'm not quite sure how to fix this...

Friday, May 16, 2008 4:58 PM

Answers

• OK, it looks like at least one file (Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.dll) was not updated during the installation - and the new team explorer does not find everything it needs there. Reinstalling SP1 might help; fixing it manually requires some skills like manipulations with the global assembly cache (aka GAC). Are you comfortable with that?

Alex

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:37 PM
  • I was afraid to need to reinstall all vs 2008, but reinstalling the vs sp1 has solved the problem.

Thanks.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:29 AM

All replies

• Hello,

It looks like you're having an issue with side-by-side installations of the Visual Studio or at least some of its components. One question: is this the exact error message? I am asking because I cannot find any trace of that exception in our source code.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:55 PM
  • You are right, there were fault in my typing (it would had help to post an image):

Could not load type 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.WorkItemTypeDeniedOrNotExistException' from assembly 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Can you take a look for the install log in yout %temp% folder and send it to me at edpsyk@microsoft.com?

Thanks,
    Ed

• OK, it looks like at least one file (Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.dll) was not updated during the installation - and the new team explorer does not find everything it needs there. Reinstalling SP1 might help; fixing it manually requires some skills like manipulations with the global assembly cache (aka GAC). Are you comfortable with that?

Alex

• I was afraid to need to reinstall all vs 2008, but reinstalling the vs sp1 has solved the problem.

Thanks.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:29 AM
  • I saw this happen when installing VS2008 SP1 Beta and then installing TFS from the /TFC subdir of the original VS2008 installer.

Friday, June 6, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Reinstalling SP1 fixed the problem for me.

Friday, June 6, 2008 9:31 PM
  • Awesome! Reinstalling worked for me too.  Good post. Smile

Sunday, July 13, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Thanks Instriker for your post and the fix!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:03 PM
  • I have incurred the same problem.

However, after running the SP1 install again, the error still occurred.

Was I to remove SP1 first and then run the SP1 install?

Do I remove Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team System Explorer Beta 2 - ENU and install something else? 

Can you show the steps to manually fix this issue?

Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Pete, in your post you mention Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team System Explorer Beta 2 - ENU.  If that is accurate then you have a pre-RTM client installation that must be uninstalled first.  After that you can install the RTM version of Tema Explorer adn apply the SP1 patch.

Ed

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:48 PM
  • So the steps suggested are

1. Remove current Team Explorer Beta 2 - ENU

2. Remove the SP1 install (unsure ?)

3. Install a RTM version of Team Explorer - ENU

4. Install the SP1

or

Do I just remove and replace the Team Explorer and then rerun SP1?

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:14 PM
  • The steps should be:

1) Uninstall Team Explorer Beta 2

2) Install Team Explorer RTM

3) Rerun VS SP1

Ed

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:45 AM
  •  Instriker wrote:

I was afraid to need to reinstall all vs 2008, but reinstalling the vs sp1 has solved the problem.

Thanks.

Using windows xp x64 after installing sp1 for visual studio 2008, I too got the error message.

Reinstalling the service pack did fix my problem.

I didn't need to uninstall anything, just run the spInstaller again should do the job.

Thanks again for the good tip!.

regards,

Freek Bos

The Netherlands.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:19 PM
  • For what it's worth I might have an answer how this issue happens in the first place.

I just installed my new computer and the order for Visual Studio 2008 was
    - VS 2008 Team Edition
    - SP1
    - TFC

So SP1 was installed without the TFC installed and TFC is not updated to SP1 until SP1 is reinstalled.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 8:25 AM
  • SP1 reinstallation doesn't help in my case.

I didn't have any betas installed. 

I can cleary see that TeamExplorer has older version. While everything is 9.0.30729.1, it is 9.0.21022.8 (instead of  9.0.30729.1 as on machines where everything works well).

Nothing seems to be able to change it. I uninstalled SP1 and reinstalled it again, didn't install anything afterwards.

By some reason it doesn't want to udpate TeamExplorer files. Any ideas why?

Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:23 AM
  • I have this same issue, but I had to leave SP1 uninstalled (I had to roll back) because Dynamics SL can't run with SP 1 installed.

Any other ideas how to fix this?
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:47 PM
  • When I try to install SP1 I get an error Message - An earlier version of Microsoft Development Studio 2008 has been detected on the system that must be updated to SP1 before installation can proceed.

Well that is what I am trying to do, install SP1.  How do I get out of this Catch 22?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Hi,

the problem could be that you installed the TeamExplorer after you installed VS2008 SP1.
    You have to install the software in the following order:

1. Visual Studio 2008
    2. Team Explorer
    3. Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1

Greetings
    Christian Moser

Monday, June 15, 2009 9:41 AM
  • I encountered the same issue and a re-install of VS2008 SP1 solved it for me (didn't unistall SP1, just re-installed it).  Confirming the accuracy of Christian Moser's post, I had installed VS2008, then SP1, and then Team Explorer.  So, apparently the Team Explorer installation affects the dll in question. 

So, as Christian stated, if you install in the following order, your chance of success is high:

1. Visual Studio 2008
    2. Team Explorer
    3. Visual Studio 2008 SP1

Enjoy,
    Tom

Saturday, August 22, 2009 11:20 PM