Temp Db Creation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Can you define How TEMPDB will create at the time of Services start.

My question is Temp DB will creating by using Model database as a template. Is it right or wrong?

All the databases including System Database Tempdb use the model database as a template is it right or wrong?

Please explain.

Krish

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

This is not cut and dried. TempDB is recreated each time the instance starts. As far as I understand the tempdb is initially created as a copy of the model database however the tempdb is reset back to the size, datafile config that was last manually configured therefore you don't need the model database to contain xx datafiles of xx size.

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jonathan_kehayias/archive/2010/05/14/does-tempdb-get-recreated-from-model-at-startup.aspx

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog, Twitter or Hire Me.
    Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful button if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Hi Krish,

You are correct with the second part of your question. All new databases on the server will be created as copies of the model database with one important side effect being that you cannot create a database smaller than the model database.

Regards, Matt Bowler MCITP, My blog | SQL Services

• Edited by matt.bowler Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:14 AM