none
Limit to Size of SQL Database and how to gain full control for access

Question

• I've been using a program called AutoCaller that uses SSMS for a database.  Last week I was no longer able to save any new data to the SQL database.  The database is about five years old and at 10.5 GB . Is there a limit to the size of the SQL database?  If so, have a reached that threshold?  Can it be expanded further?  A 2nd question, with my user login I am unable to create a new database or even view properties of my existing database.  What permissions would my IT department need to give to my user account to give me full control over the software?  Our IT department does not use SSMS, so they are unable to help me with these basic questions.  Thanks for any guidance provided. 
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:54 PM

Answers

• Okay, run this:

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('Edition')

A Fan of SSIS, SSRS and SSAS

• Edited by Guoxiong Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Scott-0010 Thursday, May 16, 2019 12:43 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:01 PM
  • You can have many databases on the Express edition if you can split that database. The max 10GB is only limited for each database.

• Edited by Guoxiong Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:20 PM
  •  A 2nd question, with my user login I am unable to create a new database or even view properties of my existing database.  What permissions would my IT department need to give to my user account to give me full control over the software?  Our IT department does not use SSMS, so they are unable to help me with these basic questions.  Thanks for any guidance provided. 

For the second question, the login name must be the member of dbcreator server role for user to have enough permissions to create a database.

So you can execute the following statement to become the member of dbcreator server role.

EXEC master..sp_addsrvrolemember @loginame = N'yourloginname', @rolename = N'dbcreator'
    GO

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:02 AM

All replies

• As a start, please run this and post your results. Thanks.
    Select @@version

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:22 PM
  • The version is 11.0.2100.60
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:43 PM
  • If the sql edition is Express, the max size is 10 GB.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:12 PM
  • It is SQL Server Management Studio, not the Express version.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:26 PM
  • SQL Server Management Studio is the tool. Post the output from SELECT @@VERSION;

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:31 PM
  • The version is SQL Server 11.0.2100.60

I tried to attach a image, but received a message that my account needs to be verified to post attachments. 

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:51 PM
  • Okay, run this:

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('Edition')

• Edited by Guoxiong Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:04 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:01 PM
  • It says Express Edition (64-bit).  So if that is the case, sounds like my 10.5 GB drive is at capacity.  Any suggestions?  Thanks
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:09 PM
  • I meant to write, 10.5 GB database...……..
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:10 PM
  • You can have many databases on the Express edition if you can split that database. The max 10GB is only limited for each database.

• Edited by Guoxiong Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:20 PM
  •  A 2nd question, with my user login I am unable to create a new database or even view properties of my existing database.  What permissions would my IT department need to give to my user account to give me full control over the software?  Our IT department does not use SSMS, so they are unable to help me with these basic questions.  Thanks for any guidance provided. 

For the second question, the login name must be the member of dbcreator server role for user to have enough permissions to create a database.

So you can execute the following statement to become the member of dbcreator server role.

EXEC master..sp_addsrvrolemember @loginame = N'yourloginname', @rolename = N'dbcreator'
    GO

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:02 AM