none
Removing the old ASP.NET framework RRS feed

• Question

• We're upgrading our ASP.NET 2.0 site to 3.5, and my supervisor asks me to also "uninstalling ALL previous releases of .NET from the box and installing ONLY .NET 3.5". I can do that by unstalling ASP.NET 1.1 and 2.0 after the 3.5 app is working but don't know if it will have any impact on the 3.5 application? Is it even a good practice to remove the old framework? Or, i should always keep them there, for backward compatibility reasons? Thanks.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 2:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Also, is Windows server 2003 dependent on .NET 1.0/1.1? I begin to doubt if it's even possible to remove .net 1.0/1.1 since they came with the OS. As a test in Virtual PC, I deleted the files under 1.1 Framework folder but they magically "grew back" in 2 seconds. 
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Tell your supervisor it is not recommended to remove any thing in Win2003 when you are deploying Asp.net because Asp.net still runs on .NET 2.0 but VS2008 adds the relevant references needed to run the new features.  You also need to make sure Win2003 is at least SP2.  Post again if you still have questions.

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCITP BI & MCTS SQL Server 2005
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:44 PM
  • I did a test on the virtual PC to remove all old .NET frameworks and then install only 3.5. Here are the notes. It's a total mess and against all the best practices, but if the boss wants it, he gets it.

1.       It’s a Windows Server 2003 server with the latest Sharepoint server, so I found .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 on it.

2.       To remove the older frameworks, you need to remove the latest one first (3.5), then 3.0, 2.0. All these can be done via Control Panel -> Add/Remove Software. Even after their removal, the framework folders still exist in here: C:\Windows\Microfot.NET\Framework, so you need to go there and manually delete them just to be sure that they’re gone forever. If you get “access denied” or “file in use”, restarting the server and try again might help. I was able to delete the 3.5, 3.0 and 2.0 folders eventually.

3.       Next, to remove 1.0, go to C:\Windows\Microfot.NET\FrameWork\V1.0…… and manually delete the whole folder or files in it. Again, if you get “access denied” or “file in use”, restarting the server and try again might help. I was able to delete the 1.0 folder eventually.

4.       Removing the 1.1 is much trickier. I didn’t see it in Control Panel -> Add/Remove Software, so, like 1.0, the only way to remove it is to delete the folder. But every time I deleted the files under 1.1, they “grew back” magically in 2 seconds. Another advice I got is to use “aspnet_regiis.exe –u” to “uninstall” it, which worked, but still you can see the 1.1 folder and all the files under it. They grew back automatically no matter how many times I deleted them.

5.       Another method to delete the frameworks is to change the registry. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> MICROSOFT -> .NETFramework and delete all 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 entries. I did that, but the 1.1 files still can’t be removed. So I stopped at here – at least I “uninstalled” 1.1 so it shouldn’t do any harm.

6. So I went ahead and downloaded a fresh copy of Framework 3.5 (with SP1) dated 8/11/2008 from Microsoft and installed it, hoping this would be a clean install. It took about 20 minutes to install in the VPC. Once completed, I examined the  C:\Windows\Microfot.NET\FrameWork folder, expecting to see the stubborn 1.1 folder and the new 3.5 folder next to each other. But instead, I saw all the framework folders….. yes, 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. All came back for a happy reunion……  

Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Is there any reference info in MSDN saying that it is not recommended (or impossible) to remove older .NET Framework? I need to show my boss some "official statement" so he can totally give it up. For example, Window server 2003 need 1.1 in order to run, or that 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 are all required for 3.5 to run etc.

Thanks again.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:03 PM
  •   (I saw all the framework folders….. yes, 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. All came back for a happy reunion……)

I am assuming you did not understand when I said you should not remove any version of the .NET framework when deploying Asp.net.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:05 PM
  •  I understand, I just need to find something to persuade my supervisor that it's not good (or can't be done) to remove any of them. If only MS has a page that says "You can't remove older Framework....." or even "we don't recommend removing any of the older .NET Framework....", that'll make things a lot easier. 

I actually felt it's a waste of my time doing these uninstall tests....
    • Edited by bchao Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:12 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Check the first link which is the Admin .NET 3.5 deployment guide it includes prerequisites for the .NET 3.5 deployment for Win2003 which shows all the previous frameworks with relevant service packs.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc160717.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc160716.aspx

Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:37 PM
  • Thans Caddre, this is good information. I will forward the info to my supervisor and let him decide what to do. If he insists on doing it, I will redirect the request to System/OS team and let them worry abou it.

Thanks for all the help, again!
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:23 PM