XAML Previewer option missing in VS 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• User297138 posted

Hi, had the same problem with VS 2017 RC but after that I did a clean format and installed VS Professional 2015 Update 3 including Xamarin and still no option for viewing .xaml files. That is there is no View -> Other Windows -> Xamarin.Forms Previewer menu available. Right clicking a .xaml file and selecting View Designer in a newly created Xamarin Forms app I get the following error:

"There is no editor available for 'C:\users....\AboutPage.xaml'. Make sure the application for the file type (.xaml) is installed.

Would be great to get some help on how to solve this.

Sunday, February 26, 2017 9:48 AM

Answers

• User180523 posted

Remember the previewer is still very new/beta. To be honest I haven't said much nice about it so far. I've yet to see it work well with even simple XAML that doesn't require a previewer to imagine in your head - and breaks completely with XAML complex enough to actually make a previewer worth having.

That being said... I decided to revisit the previewer today. Its a lot better than the last time I looked at it.

there is no View -> Other Windows -> Xamarin.Forms Previewer menu available. Correct. It doesn't say "Xamarin" in the menu option. At least not in VS2017RC.

Some updates are near real time. Maybe 1-2 second delay

Sometimes previewer just goes to lunch and doesn't recover...

...until you make more changes

Once I added the Button the previewer recovered on its own: Without having to close and re-open the window. It then kept up with the changes I made of adding the StackLayout and changing the HoriztonalOptions

So far, my current 10 minutes of play with it in VS2017RC have yielded more results than all my previous attempts collectively. So I think I'll keep it open, spend some time with it, and see how much more it can do. It looks like the team working on it are making good progress.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 1:46 PM

All replies

• User180523 posted

Remember the previewer is still very new/beta. To be honest I haven't said much nice about it so far. I've yet to see it work well with even simple XAML that doesn't require a previewer to imagine in your head - and breaks completely with XAML complex enough to actually make a previewer worth having.

That being said... I decided to revisit the previewer today. Its a lot better than the last time I looked at it.

there is no View -> Other Windows -> Xamarin.Forms Previewer menu available. Correct. It doesn't say "Xamarin" in the menu option. At least not in VS2017RC.

Some updates are near real time. Maybe 1-2 second delay

Sometimes previewer just goes to lunch and doesn't recover...

...until you make more changes

Once I added the Button the previewer recovered on its own: Without having to close and re-open the window. It then kept up with the changes I made of adding the StackLayout and changing the HoriztonalOptions

So far, my current 10 minutes of play with it in VS2017RC have yielded more results than all my previous attempts collectively. So I think I'll keep it open, spend some time with it, and see how much more it can do. It looks like the team working on it are making good progress.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 1:46 PM
  • User297138 posted

Thank you! I was looking for the Xamarin so I totally missed the option you pointed out.

Sunday, February 26, 2017 3:08 PM
  • User180523 posted

In VS2015 it still can't handle much of anything remotely interesting or more than simple. Here is a simple footer control that I put on each page, consisting of the version number, current real-time clock, and a spot for feedback messages. That's it. But it breaks the previewer with a crazy message saying there is no default parameterless constructor. That we can clearly see exists.

This is what I mean when I say "If the XAML is simple enough for the previewer then you probably don't need the previewer. If you need the previwer, then the XAML is too complex to be handled by the previewer."

Monday, February 27, 2017 3:05 PM
  • User297138 posted

Yes I noticed that it's kind of useless at the moment

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:44 AM