none
Installing applications automatically after OOBE/generalize has completed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm trying to do something quite specific for a Windows Embedded Standard 7 image and can't quite figure out the best way to do it. Here is what I am trying to do:-

I have created an answer file in ICE which I use to create an IBW disk
    Using IBW, I install WES7 on one of my target devices
    I then install other items - such as .NET 4 etc.
    I then run SYSPREP /OOBS /Generalize and point it at an UNATTEND.XML file for some specific items I want configured

Here is where I start to struggle. I have a good reason for wanting the user to enter the name of the machine as part of the first time boot after I have cloned the image out to the target devices during production. AFTER the user has entered the machine name, I then want some additional applications to install (specifically, SQL Express 2008 R2 and our own application that depends on SQL).

I absolutely cannot install SQL and my own application until AFTER the machine has gone through its first time boot and been given its 'real' machine name.

I cannot figure a way of doing this as part of the installation process. I can insert synchronous commands into the OOBE phase - but these are executed before the machine has been renamed. 

Can anyone tell me if there is a way of configuring the WES7 automated installation to do this - or am I going to have to write a custom installer that is run after the user logs on for the first time after the first time boot? I have tried using autounattend and unattend files but I can't get this to work.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:54 PM

Answers

• Thanks all

I figured out my last problem - and it was my fault of course. The file I was trying to delete as part of the test was FBWFMGR.exe (so users can't turn off the write protection once I enable it). Of course, in Windows 7 this file is owned by Trusted Installer so I'm not allowed to delete it.

Once I figured this out, I was able to take care of the problem.

Thanks to all those who replied - problem(s) solved :o)

• Marked as answer by TDS5Admin Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:33 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:31 AM

All replies

• Did you try putting the synchronous commands in the sysprep unattended file?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:42 PM
  • SetupComplete.cmd
    • Proposed as answer by KNARZ Friday, July 19, 2013 6:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by TDS5Admin Monday, July 22, 2013 10:56 AM
    Friday, July 19, 2013 12:37 AM
  • Thanks all for the help so far.

I guess I hadn't properly understood the difference between the autounattend.xml file (generated by ICE) and a 'manual' unattend file that can be run after the user has gone through the first time boot after an OOBE / generalize. Thanks for kicking me in the right direction.

Although I've made great progress, I still have one additional question if I may? I am now using a file called final.xml at the end of my installation (sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:C\setup\final.xml). As part of this final stage (i.e. within this file), I want to be able to tidy up after myself. 

I have put my setup kits into the $OEM$ folder structure and then I use the final.xml unattend file to install them. The final thing I want to do is delete these installation files as they will no longer be needed (and are taking up valuable disk space that I need for data storage).

If I run a synchronous command as part of the OOBE phase in my final.xml (for example del C:\setup) - this command fails as it requires administrator permissions to delete files/folders. Can you think of a way that I can do this? I want this to happen silently, in the background - without the user seeing what is going on and without the user having to click on anything to make it happen.

Thanks again for all your help so far - it is much appreciated.

• Edited by TDS5Admin Monday, July 22, 2013 10:12 AM Poor spelling :o)
    Monday, July 22, 2013 10:10 AM
  • Thanks all

I figured out my last problem - and it was my fault of course. The file I was trying to delete as part of the test was FBWFMGR.exe (so users can't turn off the write protection once I enable it). Of course, in Windows 7 this file is owned by Trusted Installer so I'm not allowed to delete it.

Once I figured this out, I was able to take care of the problem.

Thanks to all those who replied - problem(s) solved :o)

• Marked as answer by TDS5Admin Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:33 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:31 AM