DataSet in SilverLight, what to replace? RRS feed

• Question

• Our software uses DataSet to send/receive data using WCF and consume it in the Windows Forms.  But now we want to move to SilveLight, or use it in some areas to show the data on the web without using ASP.NET.  But I noticed that SilverLight does not accept DataSet! This creates the problems for us, because DataSet is used in these parts!  Now, what do you think is the bset way?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Mike

Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mike

If you plan to develop against Silverlight 2 beta 2 you don't have many choises ADO Data Services with Entity Framework is how we have gone after not being able to get Entity Framework and WCF to play well together.

I believe that most of the problems will go away once Silverlight 2.0 is released.

Entity Framework is not so different to Datasets to work with but there is a learning curve like any new technology.

I beleive the benifits long term are worth the learning curve though.

Good Luck

Martintr

Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:15 PM
  • You could use the tools over at www.silverlightds.com to convert your dataset from you sql to a serialized object and then pass it over the wire with their tool to be read in a very asp.net manner.  Pretty cool stuff.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Try the following: http://silverlightdataset.net

Best Regards
    Vitaly
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:27 PM