Invalid Handle error in VSS2005 RRS feed

• Question

• I can't find any information on this error in the help, so hopefully someone has seen this error before.

When I create a project directly in Visual SourceSafe, I receive the "Invalid Handle" error message box.  I select OK and the project is created.  When I add files to the project, I receive an "Invalid Handle" for each file that I am adding.  Everything appears to be working because the files are added to the project and I can check them out and in.

What is causing this error and how can I make it go away?

Tony

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:30 PM

Answers

• Does this error happen only when you create a project? If so, does it happen each time you create a project or add files? I did a search through Internet about this error and saw two possible causes:

1. The VSS solution bindings have broken. You can try reestablishing the solution bindings.

2. The connection to the VSS database network is not reliable.

Hope this helps,

www.dynamsoft.com - Microsoft GOLD CERTIFIED Partner

the leading developer of version control and issue tracking software
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 2:48 AM
  • I figure out our problem and will post the results here so it may help others! Basically, I looked in the INI file for the SourceSafe database and noticed the shadow folder section displayed:
    Shadow = \\sambaServer\work\dataShadow
    Then I tried to access that share from the new Vista computer and couldn't. The reason ended up being that the new computer was not configured on the correct WORKGROUP and therefore the file could not be created on the SAMBA share.

Shawn
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:20 AM

All replies

• Does this error happen only when you create a project? If so, does it happen each time you create a project or add files? I did a search through Internet about this error and saw two possible causes:

1. The VSS solution bindings have broken. You can try reestablishing the solution bindings.

2. The connection to the VSS database network is not reliable.

Hope this helps,

www.dynamsoft.com - Microsoft GOLD CERTIFIED Partner

the leading developer of version control and issue tracking software
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 2:48 AM
  • We are having a similar problem with a computer that is using Windows Vista. For us, the problem seems to be related to shadowing. We have a shadow folder for the entire repository set up on a SAMBA share. Checking in and Checking out files seems to work fine, including all the differences and file history; however, the file does not show up in our shadowed directory. I was able to create/modify and delete files from the Vista explorer in the Shadow directory, but SourceSafe seems to fail.

NOTE: We have been using this repository for almost a year with the shadow folder on the SAMBA server without incident. The only problem seems to be when doing a check-in from the Vista machine. As we bundle our final product data from the shadow folder, it is very dangerous for us if the shadow folder is not an accurate version of our repository!

Any ideas?

Shawn
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:54 AM
  • I figure out our problem and will post the results here so it may help others! Basically, I looked in the INI file for the SourceSafe database and noticed the shadow folder section displayed:
    Shadow = \\sambaServer\work\dataShadow
    Then I tried to access that share from the new Vista computer and couldn't. The reason ended up being that the new computer was not configured on the correct WORKGROUP and therefore the file could not be created on the SAMBA share.

Shawn
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:20 AM
  • I had a similar error. That randomly I would receive the invalid handle message.

The srcsafe.ini had a bad value:

Journal_File = \\non_existing\Location

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 4:13 PM
  • I met the Journal_File issue, too.  VS2008/VS2010 is executed as Administrator in my Windows 2008, and I use \\vssServerMachineName\vssShare to connect to VSS server, and I got randomly "Invalid Handle" during checking-in files.

rubbercookie's post give me some clue, and I found Journal_File = \\ipAddressOfVssServer\vssShare in srcsafe.ini.  The credential is set for \\vssServerMachineName, but not for \\ipAddressOfVssServer.  It can explain why I got an "Invalid Handle"(failed to write log), but the check-in was always successful.  Thanks for rubbercookie's sharing.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:13 AM