none
Com Addin for OneNote 2010 using Visual Studio 2012 in C# RRS feed

• Question

• I have been following  http://www.malteahrens.com/#/blog/howto-onenote-dev/ which is for VS 2010... I have built the class, registered the add in as com. Assigned a guid, created the setup installer, created the files and registry entries... I can build, I can use the setup file to install the add in.   Once in onenote, the code does not run, and the add in is not listed anywhere in the Addin manager in Onenote...  The registry entries that I create with the installer are present, the dll (after installing) from the hello world class is in C:\Users\ms\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns\Database

Does anyone have examples of the following (which is where VS 2012 differs from 2010)

1)Assigning the guid:  currently I have

[Guid("59257973-5469-49FA-8B06-2DD12F9FCE71"),
            ProgIdAttribute("oneNo.main")]
        public class main :IDTExtensibility2
        {...

2) using Installshield IDE for a OneNote addin, There does not seem to be any examples of this that I can find. 

For the registry entries I have tried both Malte's method and this articles': http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302901/en-us

Friday, April 25, 2014 3:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Base on your description, you are developing an add-in for OneNote. Does this add-in work on your development machine?

>> Does anyone have examples of the following (which is where VS 2012 differs from 2010)<<

There is a little difference building a com add-in in Office in Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2012.

I also find an example, the example demonstrates how to create a VSTO add-in to customize the ribbon of Microsoft OneNote 2010. And there is a detail steps walk through a demonstration of the CSOneNoteRibbonAddIn sample. Please check it whether it is helpful:
    C# OneNote Ribbon addin (CSOneNoteRibbonAddIn)

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 28, 2014 2:50 AM
  • Hi,

Which version of OneNote are you using (32-bit or 64-bit)? Which version of Operate System are you using? Here is a sample for your reference:
    I have tested it in OneNote 2013 32-bit and OneNote 2010 64-bit.

Steps:

1. Open the solution as administrator
    2. Run the solution
    3. Click the reg file to add the registry entry
    4. Open the OneNote
    5. You can see the custom button like figure below:

We can use ClickOnce to deploy the com add-in. You can get more detail from link below:
    Deploying COM Components with ClickOnce

And if you still have questions about using ClickOnce, you can repost it to ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects to get more effective response.

If you want to use Install Shield to deploy the solution, you will get more effective response if you get support from Install Shield.

InstallShield Community Forums

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Base on your description, you are developing an add-in for OneNote. Does this add-in work on your development machine?

>> Does anyone have examples of the following (which is where VS 2012 differs from 2010)<<

There is a little difference building a com add-in in Office in Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2012.

I also find an example, the example demonstrates how to create a VSTO add-in to customize the ribbon of Microsoft OneNote 2010. And there is a detail steps walk through a demonstration of the CSOneNoteRibbonAddIn sample. Please check it whether it is helpful:
    C# OneNote Ribbon addin (CSOneNoteRibbonAddIn)

Best regards

Fei

Monday, April 28, 2014 2:50 AM
  • It does not work on my dev machine... Registry entries show up, .dll shows up... the addin in the onenote program does not. 

That example would be great, however I can't open half the code, I believe since Visual Studio 2012 changed to Installshield IDE...

If you had that example using VS2012 that would be amazing!

Thank you for your help!

Monday, April 28, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Hi,

Which version of OneNote are you using (32-bit or 64-bit)? Which version of Operate System are you using? Here is a sample for your reference:
    I have tested it in OneNote 2013 32-bit and OneNote 2010 64-bit.

Steps:

1. Open the solution as administrator
    2. Run the solution
    3. Click the reg file to add the registry entry
    4. Open the OneNote
    5. You can see the custom button like figure below:

We can use ClickOnce to deploy the com add-in. You can get more detail from link below:
    Deploying COM Components with ClickOnce

And if you still have questions about using ClickOnce, you can repost it to ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects to get more effective response.

If you want to use Install Shield to deploy the solution, you will get more effective response if you get support from Install Shield.

InstallShield Community Forums

Best regards

Fei

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 3:33 AM