none
Subdomain A-record to point away from Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

My goal is to create a subdomain and point it to another A-record.

Under Azure Active Directory > Custom Domain Names, I have created admin.preptours.ca.

I can not find how to point the A-record for it, however.

I tried setting up a DNS Zone and it was not successful.
    Wednesday, February 5, 2020 6:03 PM

All replies

• Thanks for asking question! If I have understood right, you have a web app and domain name purchased and you want to map the custom domain name by using an A record. If so, you may follow below steps:

Prepare your app by confirming it is on a paid tier (Shared, Basic, Standard or Premium)

• To confirm this Sign in portal > select App Service > Select name of your app > settings > select scale Up. The highlighted blue line border will tell your tier.

To map A record:

• Select Custom domain > and copy IP address.
    • Now Sign in the website of domain provider > go to DNS records page.
    • Go to your website’s cPanel, under DNS setting select the domain you need to map and create A record wherein you will map www.xyz.com or a subdomain of xyz.com to the IP address.
    • Open the screen from where you got the IP address(i.e. from the azure portal) and click on “Add Hostname” to get “Add Hostname” screen.
    • Enter the hostname (www.xyz.com) and click on “validate”. It confirms that you own this hostname by checking the record you have put-in in the above steps.
    • Successful validation enables “Add Hostname” button, click on the button to complete the process.

You may refer to this doc for detailed description:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/app-service-web-tutorial-custom-domain#map-an-a-record

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're migrating from MSDN to Microsoft Q&A as our new forums and Azure App Service has already made the move!  In future, you can ask and look for the discussion for Azure App Service related questions here:   https://docs.microsoft.com/answers/topics/azure-webapps.html

We are actively working to onboard remaining Azure services on Microsoft Q&A. We will make a public announcement once complete. Want to Learn more about new platform: Microsoft Q&A Getting Started

Thursday, February 6, 2020 9:47 AM