none
SPD 2013, Reusable Workflows not updating when published.

Question

• I have a Reusable Workflow created in SPD 2013. When I make a change to the workflow and publish it, SharePoint still uses the previous version, meaning I must manually remove the workflow and re-attach it every time I change the workflow. I have un-checked the "Cache site data across SharePoint sessions" check-box in the options menu, as described in many internet search results, to no avail. How can I avoid this, and get SharePoint to use the latest published version of the workflow?

Cheers,

Dent.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 3:42 AM

All replies

• Hi DentedHead- sounds like you just need to clear your cache. See the following link for instructions:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26272899/sharepoint-designer-workflow-not-changing-afrer-publish

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 1:20 PM
  • Hi Cameron,

I have seen that post. The first part of that post pertains to SPD 2010, not 2013. I did try it anyway, but it had no effect. The second part, pertaining to SPD 2013 refers to unchecking the "Cache site data across SharePoint sessions", which I already mentioned I had done. If this is indeed a caching issue, it is not solved by either of these methods.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 9:58 PM
  • Hi,

If you create a new reusable workflow and publish it to a new library/list, will this issue occur?

Please do the following steps:

1. Access SharePoint Designer 2013 > click All Files > right click Workflows list and select Properties, check the “Create a version each time you edit an item” option is checked.

2. Then click Administration Web Page button in the ribbon > click Versioning settings > enable major versions.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 11:28 AM
  • Hi Dean,

Couple things here... first up, you seem to have menu items I lack. Under All Files, I do not have "Workflows" listed...(seems I can't have images or links yet to show you).

That aside, I can still find the settings menu and relevant check box shown in your reply, and already had it checked. Versioning is also already enabled.

Still gritting teeth and howling in anguish over this issue...

Dent.

• Edited by DentedHead78 Wednesday, February 08, 2017 10:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2017 10:30 PM
  • Hi,

Could you create a new reusable workflow and publish it in a new library, then provide the results here?

Thanks,

Dean Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 09, 2017 8:58 AM
  • Hi Dean,

I made a new list, and new reusable workflow, then associated the new WF to the new list.

All the new WF does is log a version number to the WF History. Ran the WF, logged "Version 1.1". Changed the log to 1.2, published and re-ran the WF. Still logging "Version 1.1".

A colleague in the office has been in touch with Microsoft, seems this is a current bug with reusable workflows...

Grrr.

Dent.  

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:17 AM
  • Hi Dent,

But this issue doesn’t occur in my environment.

Did you create 2013 platform workflow? Could you provide the version number of your SharePoint 2013?

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:15 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I have a client on SharePoint 2016 Online, 6 months ago I wrote a reusable workflow and was able to republish it from SPD without any issue.

Now I get the issue that the updated workflow does not get used in any of the lists associated to it.

So tested on our on O365 SharePoint tenant. It has the same issue too.

Spoke to a Support contact in Microsoft. She stated that she had noticed the issue occurring too. This was back around January. 

So four months later and it's still broken. Is anyone in MS worried that what was a stable and usable product/framework is now going backwards?

I am stating to get a lot of flack from my Clients over these 'Minor' issues as SharePoint is getting a bad name and our company loosing business.

Andrew

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 12:54 AM