none
Oracle connection in WinForms Smart Client RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

My organization is contemplating a move from the traditional n-tier application:  IE client, asp/jsp web proxy, COM/Java middleware and SQL/Oracle DB...  to a more direct modern 2 tier with a .Net winforms client connecting directly to the database.  We will be developing middle tier objects but they will live on the client machine...but that's not my question.  Here's the deal:  Our infrastructure folks are reluctant enough to install the CLR on their client machines, but they are absolutely balking installing the Oracle Client on their client machines and definitely do not want the tnsnames.ora on the client machines or via a share. Does anyone know of a way to connect to an Oracle 9i database from a Winforms client directly?  They realize the Oracle Client is free, it's not a cost issue.  In the JDBC world there is the notion of a thin-client connection, which feels alot like the traditional DSN-less connection to SQL.  Maybe sticking the connection info in the config file?  Anyway, thanks in advance....

Mike Shaffer
    Tuesday, November 18, 2003 3:46 PM