none
Setting up SQL Server in VMware Environment - Best Practice\Performance

Question

• Hello, 

When setting up new servers (SQL for example) it seems that we are always wondering which VMware virtual disk option should we select that would give us the best performance for that application. 

From what i remember using an in-guest iSCSI connection from within the VM to the SAN offered the best performance but that does not seem to be the case anymore from what research i have done. I guess the only reason to go with something other than VMDK would be if there was some sort of application requirement. But finding documentation on specific application requirements in a VMware environment is not an easy thing.

Unless specified, is there any reason to choose anything but VMDK these days? Does one storage option (iSCSI, VMDK or RDM) really outperform the other anymore? Just curious, what are you using in your environment or how did you make that decision? I think in our environment my main concerns would be with Exchange, SQL and our File Servers. The servers being beat up the most my end users. 

Thank you!

Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:21 AM

Answers

All replies