none
SearchService not returning results RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    We've been using the SearchService endpoint to find locations in Bing Maps. Very recently, within this past couple of days, the endpoint that we were using stopped returning results to us.

    We send queries with the following shape:

    dev.virtualearth.net/services/v1/SearchService/SearchService.asmx/Search2?keyword=Tutta%20Bella&location=98121&count=10&token={REDACTED}&culture=en-us&entityType=Business&jsonso=r2&locationCoordinates=&mapBounds=&query=&sortOrder=&startingIndex=

    And unfortunately, they are now returning no results. Instead, we receive the following payload:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><SearchResponse xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://dev.virtualearth.net/">    <ResponseSummary>        <Copyright>Copyright © 2016 Microsoft and its suppliers. All rights reserved. This API cannot be accessed and the content and any results may not be used, reproduced or transmitted in any manner without express written permission from Microsoft Corporation.</Copyright>        <StatusCode>ServerError</StatusCode>        <AuthResultCode>None</AuthResultCode>        <TraceId>6ccca8ef-8f57-4a9c-a93d-69ed882a682a|BN20130426</TraceId>    </ResponseSummary>    <ParseResults />    <SearchRegion>        <Source>None</Source>        <MatchConfidence>Low</MatchConfidence>        <MatchCode />        <GeocodeLocations />    </SearchRegion>    <SearchResults />    <AlternateSearchRegions /></SearchResponse>

    We haven't made any changes to the way in which we contact the API for the past couple of months, so we're concerned that something has changed in the API endpoint itself very recently.

    Any help here would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Friday, January 15, 2016 6:37 AM

Answers

  • Surprised to see you using the legacy SOAP services, they were replaced 5 years ago by the REST services and the documentation is no longer online. I managed to find an old code sample I wrote back in 2008 using the Search service, tried running it with as is and even more surprising the code still works and it had no issues connecting to the SOAP search service and making requests.

    If you have an Enterprise Bing maps account, contact the Bing Maps Enterprise support team.

    If you don't have an enterprise account, it is very likely that your account is being blocked due to non-compliance with the Bing Maps terms of use (i.e. you have exceed the free terms of use, likely for a long time). If this is the case the licensing team likely tried contacting you through the email address linked to your Bing maps account. I believe they flipped the switch a couple days ago on these accounts, which is likely why you are seeing this issue now. If you email me at richbrun at microsoft.com with your Bing Maps key, I'll take a look an see if this is the case.


    http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

    Friday, January 15, 2016 7:36 PM