Is it possible to support both metro style and regular desktop style in one app?

General discussion

• Hi,

Since not all PCs will have displays that support touch my question is will a metro style have a way to "downgrade" to a regular desktop style app for users with less advanced HW?

regards,

Itzik

Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:20 PM

All replies

• No, but I read in some of the other sections of these forums that there will be a portable code option for developers designing a metro and classic app.

So in this scenario you'll be able to creatre a shared library of code for those function calls that do not call any of the app type exclusives.

There is also talk of trying to create a shared xaml ability.

But ultimately, you will need a separate exe for each UI shell.

• Edited by CraigLaurin Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:33 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Why not build it in Silverlight?

You can use Silverlight OOB not only for Win8 desktop mode but also for Windows 7

Then there is some additional portability requirements for a Metro Style app, but it is very minor.

Robert MacLean - www.sadev.co.za
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:12 PM
  • This thread was created in the Windows Developer Preview General OS forum; the Microsoft Moderation team has moved this thread to the Tools for Metro style apps.
    Marilyn
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Why not build it in Silverlight?

You can use Silverlight OOB not only for Win8 desktop mode but also for Windows 7

Then there is some additional portability requirements for a Metro Style app, but it is very minor.

Robert MacLean - www.sadev.co.za

That's ok for the current generation (x86) W8 tablets, what happens on an ARM W8 tablet that doesn't have a Windows desktop to fall back on?

I think what you are suggesting is one of the reasons MS have disabled plug-ins (eg Silverlight / Flash) in the Metro IE, if we can just run our SL apps who is going to bother writing 'native' Metro apps?

I'm not knocking the use of Silverlight btw, I think it should be a 1st class citizen and allowed into the Metro IE browser.

Acer W500 tablet & dock, New 'works' Lenovo laptop Too much apple stuff. Remember: A Developer Preview is just that, a preview for developers - not everything will work 'just right' on day 1.
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 2:02 PM