none
[E2010] [EWSMA] [C#] [Windows]: Synchronizing room mailbox calendars RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building an application to synchronize calendars of several room mailboxes. I've been testing against an Exchange online instance (so Exchange 2013) and have set up SyncFolderItems + Streaming notifications to sync everything to a local database. Everything is working fine against the test setup, but i'm seeing different behaviour in the production environment, which is Exchange2010SP2.

Specifically, creation and deletion events are working, but if I modify a meeting, then syncfolderitems gives me a delete and a create event. Similarly streaming notifications sends out moved and created events when I modify a meeting. It seems like the room calendar is deleting and recreating meetings rather than modifying them.

Is this intended behaviour - is there any way to get it to behave like Exchange Online/2013?

Monday, October 20, 2014 5:30 AM

All replies

• I'm assuming this is to do with the room booking attendant, as if you turn it off then synchronization works properly. Unfortunately we have a requirement to have it enabled.
    Monday, October 20, 2014 5:03 PM
  • >> Is this intended behaviour

Generally yes its something you should cater for in your sync logic as there can be a number of triggers where this may happen. This is why you shouldn't rely on the EWSId or PR_EntryId on Meeting Items you should use the GlobalObjectId's. I don't believe you can configure Exchange or Outlook to modify this behaviour its something you need to handle if your want a reliable process.

Cheers
    Glen 

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:25 AM
  • Yes, i'm already using the CleanGlobalObjectId to track appointments, but it looks like for notifications i'm going to have to ignore the changetype Exchange tells me and compare each notification event to my local data. It's odd it works in Exchange 2013, as the room booking functionality seems to be unchanged.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:56 AM
  • The Exchange store was rewritten from Native to Managed Code in 2013 so I expect that Agent was also rewritten. Its quite normal however in the past to see Outlook delete and recreate a Meeting during an update that's why I would consider it normal behaviour (there are also different types of updates see http://blogs.technet.com/b/outlooking/archive/2012/06/11/understanding-meeting-updates.aspx ). You can also look at your calendaring version logs http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/06/01/holy-cow-changes-to-recoverable-items-versioning-in-exchange-2010-sp2-ru3.aspx to maybe get more information.

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:16 AM