WPF Dead or Not? RRS feed

• Question

• We've seen all the postings about WPF being Dead.  We heard from MSFT it was not, and they were starting to work on it again.  It's now about two years later and we see next to nothing regarding progress in WPF.   WPF was cutting edge technology and MVVM was "borrowed" by Angular to do client side binding very similar to what we already did with MVVM.  C'mon MSFT "Get Going"...  You're inaction is speaking loudly to us WPF adopters.

Should MSFT open source WPF being that they are unwilling to move it forward? 

Or should MSFT put a real plan together and let us know what's going on.  

Or is MSFT saying to us Typescript is the future and everything should be hosted in a browser which they don't have for WPF (without airspace issues).  

Here's a suggestion for MSFT, give us real browser so that we want and choose to embed your browser rather than CEF (Chrome Embedded Framework).  

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:22 PM

Answers

• >>We've seen all the postings about WPF being Dead.

WPF is not dead in any way. It is still the preferred technology for developing desktop applications on Windows and very much alive and being continuously worked on. WPF is part of the .NET Framework and the .NET Framework is part of Windows, i.e. it is an operating system (OS) component. This means that the support for WPF/.NET is the same as for any other OS component and Windows/Microsoft guarantees that OS components continue to work release over release:   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?sort=pn&alpha=.net%20framework&wa=wsignin1.0.  So you can safely assume that the latest version of the .NET Framework, including WPF, will be supported for years to come.

The Universal Windows Platform is not a replacement for desktop applications, at least not in its present form. Neither is Typescript nor Javascript.

When it comes to "moving things forward", WPF is already a very mature XAML platform. If there is anything in particular that you are missing, you should post a new idea or vote for an existing one at the Visual Studio User voice: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/category/89380-windows-presentation-foundation.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:28 PM

All replies

• Whilst I far prefer wpf to UWA there is only so much water in the bucket and they've clearly allocated more of it to UWA.

WPF is still being worked on. It's clearly quite a small team but there have been some changes.

If you feel more resources ought to be allocated then raise an issue on connect, or upvote one of the issues there already.

If you have specific issues you want worked on then find an existing issue on connect and upvote it.

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: Layout Lab; All my Technet Articles

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:53 PM
  • >>We've seen all the postings about WPF being Dead.

WPF is not dead in any way. It is still the preferred technology for developing desktop applications on Windows and very much alive and being continuously worked on. WPF is part of the .NET Framework and the .NET Framework is part of Windows, i.e. it is an operating system (OS) component. This means that the support for WPF/.NET is the same as for any other OS component and Windows/Microsoft guarantees that OS components continue to work release over release:   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?sort=pn&alpha=.net%20framework&wa=wsignin1.0.  So you can safely assume that the latest version of the .NET Framework, including WPF, will be supported for years to come.

The Universal Windows Platform is not a replacement for desktop applications, at least not in its present form. Neither is Typescript nor Javascript.

When it comes to "moving things forward", WPF is already a very mature XAML platform. If there is anything in particular that you are missing, you should post a new idea or vote for an existing one at the Visual Studio User voice: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/category/89380-windows-presentation-foundation.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:28 PM
  • Link you gave for  Visual Studio User voice is not available anymore. Could you repose it?

Dheeraj

Saturday, November 19, 2016 6:12 AM
  • Hate to drag this up after 9+ months, or rather... I hate to feel like I have to drag this up after so long, but are we all still really definitely sure WPF is not dead?  The team blog hasn't had a posting in over a year, I haven't seen any mention of new WPF features in VS2017 either on the dev or framework side, and once again it looks like other newer technologies (.NET Core, SQL on Linux etc) are getting all the attention.

This is a vicious cycle - nobody will take the platform seriously while its creators ignore it, and its creators continue to ignore it because nobody takes it very seriously.  WinForms is on life support and Core isn't implementing anything other than the console window, so does this mean .NET just isn't intended for true bona fide desktop apps any longer?

Monday, November 28, 2016 8:38 PM
  • Both of those links are dead.  so.....
    • Edited by Marie3rd Monday, December 12, 2016 4:45 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 4:44 AM
  • WPF should be open sourced!
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:16 PM
  • WPF should be open sourced!

A year or so ago I'd have thought this was a bad idea.  Now... it may be all that's left for it honestly.  If they were able to somehow abstract WPF/XAML from Direct3D and make it easier for someone else to graft it onto (for example) OpenGL in a cross platform environment... it could really be fantastic.

Unfortunately it's not cool the way .NET Core and Azure are, so MS aren't investing in it. 

Thursday, December 29, 2016 12:32 AM
  • 2017:  R.I.P. WPF

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 6:46 AM
  • LOL @nob0dy.  It is interesting whenever you try to get books, articles, classes on Prism, WPF, or anything related to it.  It all just seemed to die in 2012 or so.  After that it was pretty much an unsaid: "We will keep releasing it but no real updates."  I think have asked everywhere I can of better intellisense for the xaml to the viewmodel even if it was a poor man's version.  Nope, never added.  In fact I cannot see hardly anything but this little box they added around 2015 to do more with WPF.  I still like to develop in WPF but I don't see anyone really clamoring for it as it is drowned out by people wanting to do React, Angular2, Node Js, TypeScript, or some other javascript library flavor of the moment.  MS pretty much is all about their 'Core' stuff right now and Azure.  Desktop is pretty much there but nothing new for it.

Medium to Advanced on some things, but always wanting to know more

• Edited by Djangojazz2 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:49 PM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:45 PM
  • I have been a WPF developer for a few years and now run a small team in our business looking after all things IT, Since 2012 we have built a WPF application with Cinch then Caliburn micro and Telerik controls. I find it really nice and stable great for doing robust complex business applications. I dont think there is much activity on forums and stuff since all the questions I find myself asking have been asked years ago. Cool stuff like the Caliburn micros event aggregator, INotifyDataErrorInfo and lookless controls are super cool use C# and have been around for years. 

At the end of last year I hired a very experienced Web developer to write a complex portal for our customers, we chose to use Aurelia and to write it in .NET core. Some of the issues we are seeing since that time is that the .net core libraries have changed from the xproj format to the csproj format. Aurelias preferred package manager is slow (JSPM) so its going out of fashion and Webpack is the new hotness. NPM took over from bower for front end packages but that looks like its going to be superseded soon with Google and Facebook getting together and making Yarn.

To add to all this the whole concept of controls for Single page apps like Angular and Auralia is a mess and they need special controls because they cant hook into the document loaded event which a lot of advanced controls rely on so they can go over the document and apply their special tweaks. as a result special versions of control suites like Kendo UI for Angular need to be made and and open source project which is a bridge for Kendo UI to Aurelia need to be made. 

Also there is no concept of virtualized data. everything needs to be written to the DOM and any decent size grid slows down the mighty V8 Javascript engine in Chrome, so the only option is to resort to a paging mechanism.

So for me WPF is still the one for serious business apps that deal with complex data and need a long service life. I would still recommend it as the go to platform for particular scenarios. So I think its a fair way from dead, pair it with Caliburn Micro and Telerik controls and you can make any LOB app that comes your way. And It's still officially supported by Microsoft.

I think its still a few years off before the javascript library churn settles down and platforms mature. Till then WPF is still great. 

zoom zoom

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:37 AM
  • Agreed
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 4:55 AM
  • Thank you for your statement.

Like you said javascript still far from being a productive option do create large business applications.

I had spent the last year searching for technologies that could made our development faster(today we are using php and angular).
    It seens that C#/WPF is the best way to go.

Even small applications can become a mess with any of the  frameworks currently available.
    Its always a hell of a work to manipulate server data exchange with front-end events. Angular, React and Vue are miles away from WPF.

Perhaps a openGL version could bring all of the WPF power to the web.

• Edited by Fernandoffc Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:06 AM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:02 AM