.Net programming within Office programs RRS feed

• Question

• I am a developer with lots of experience scripting within Office 2003 (Especially Word, Access, and Outlook).

I had hoped that future versiond of Office would use .Net for scripting instead of VBA. However I see that the scripting environments within Office 2007/10/13 are still using VBA with few changes from the ancient VB 6.0 technology.

Is there a way to code with .Net inside Office, or at least just Access? If not, does anyone know if this is planned for the future?

Jacob

P.S. I know about being able to automate using the .NET PIAs from the outside, but I would like to be able to use .Net inside the document/database itself.
    • Edited by Jacob Wagner Monday, December 31, 2012 7:14 PM added P.S.
    Monday, December 31, 2012 7:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Jacob

No, there's no way to program using the .NET environment (IDE or language) within Office and, with the introduction of the new "Office app" technology that bases on JavaScript and the measure of importance Microsoft is giving it in Office as well as for Windows 8, I doubt it's going to happen. At least, not in the near future (meaning the next version after Office 2013). For a while, it was looking like there was hope it might happen for Office 2013 or the version after that, but somewhere along the line Microsoft changed course radically away from .NET, as it's been announcing since summer 2012.

If you want to program using .NET and leverage the data stored in an Access database, then you'd need to work in Visual Studio .NET and bring the data into that using a connection method (such as OLE DB, same as you would have for VB6).

But if you want to work with Access's built-in forms, reports, etc. then VBA is the language you'll be using for anything "Desktop". There's some new web functionality, but the best place to ask about that would be the Access for Developers forum or the forum that concentrates on Office 2013 programming:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/officedevpreview/threads

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Proposed as answer by 许阳(无锡) Wednesday, January 2, 2013 1:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jacob Wagner Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:02 PM
    Tuesday, January 1, 2013 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Jacob,

Thank for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I will involve some experts into your thread to see whether they can help you. There might be some time delay, appreciate for you patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 1:15 AM
  • Hi Jacob

No, there's no way to program using the .NET environment (IDE or language) within Office and, with the introduction of the new "Office app" technology that bases on JavaScript and the measure of importance Microsoft is giving it in Office as well as for Windows 8, I doubt it's going to happen. At least, not in the near future (meaning the next version after Office 2013). For a while, it was looking like there was hope it might happen for Office 2013 or the version after that, but somewhere along the line Microsoft changed course radically away from .NET, as it's been announcing since summer 2012.

If you want to program using .NET and leverage the data stored in an Access database, then you'd need to work in Visual Studio .NET and bring the data into that using a connection method (such as OLE DB, same as you would have for VB6).

But if you want to work with Access's built-in forms, reports, etc. then VBA is the language you'll be using for anything "Desktop". There's some new web functionality, but the best place to ask about that would be the Access for Developers forum or the forum that concentrates on Office 2013 programming:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/officedevpreview/threads

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Proposed as answer by 许阳(无锡) Wednesday, January 2, 2013 1:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jacob Wagner Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:02 PM
    Tuesday, January 1, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Cindy is right. When you want to cutomize, extend Office in .NET, Visual Studio is the platform for Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc VSTO solution.

Access is away from .NET. But your Access dev experience is naturally useful in Visual Studio LightSwitch.

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:22 PM