Report Builder 3.0 work with WPF RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All -

I'm currently running report builder 2.0 Reports within my WPF project (using local reports, not server reports)

I want to link 2 different datasets within 1 table - but there is no "lookup" function in Report builder 2.0, only in Report builder 3.0

problem is, i cant get WFP to work with Report builder 3.0 - it only works with 2.0

i dont mind which report builder verison i use, as long as i can run the reports via WPF and can do a lookup fucntion...

this has caused many sleepless nights..!

any help would be appreciated..

thanks

Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:07 PM

All replies

• problem is, i cant get WFP to work with Report builder 3.0 - it only works with 2.0

Hello,

WPF don't "work" directly with Report Builder 2.0/3.0.

I guess you mean you create reports with Report Builder and show them with the ReportViewer Control and I also guess it's Viewer version 2008. To show reports of RB3.0 you have to use the ReportViewer 2010 Control.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Hi Olaf Helper;

thanks for your reply -

yes i would like to run reports that i have made in Report builder 3.0 via my WPF or .Net project.

but as i understand, Report builder 3.0 (.rdl) files do not work with VS2010.

i am currently viewing my report builder 2.0 reports via my WPF project, but i just cannot upgrade to the 3.0

is this correct?

Monday, March 28, 2011 4:03 AM
  • Hello,

I don't depend on the VS version, it's depends on the ReportViewer control version if it's able to show reports build in Report Builder 3.0 => ReportViewer 2010 control.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    Monday, March 28, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Hi Poy,

As Olaf posted, we use Report Builder to develop report and use ReportViewer control to display report in application. However, I am still confused about the way you refer to report in WPF application.

Generally, if we developed a report in Report Builder, the report need be deployed to the Report Server. Then, we can use the ReportViewer in the application for displaying the server report. In this way, the report is always executed by the Report Server.

Besides that, ReportViewer can also be used to display local report (RDLC) which is developed by Visual Studio. So, do you mean you first create a server report (RDL) in Report Builder 2.0, and then convert it to RDLC and use ReportView control to display it in local processing mode?

If I have something misunderstood, please point out.

Thanks,
    Tony Chain

Tony Chain [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by Tony Chain Sunday, April 3, 2011 2:57 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:48 AM