none
Problem with Word Addin not starting/loading RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a package of Office Addins for Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook, all for Microsoft Office 2010.
    A couple of clients out of +500 has been getting problems starting/loading the AddIn for Word.
    The AddIns for Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook all works.

In our investigation we have tried reinstall Office and also our package, but without success.
    The Addins are all registered in the Local_Machine-part of the registry.
    When we look in the registry HKLM we can see that the Addin has Loadbehavior 3 as it should.
    All files from the package are in place and nothing seems to be missing.

When we start Word we can se that an attempt is made to start the AddIn, but when the UI is shown, our menu is missing.
    We look in the Word configuration - Addins, and our AddIn is amongs the inactivated ones.

We open the dialog for COM-Addins and when we try to fill in the checkbox, information is shown in the dialog that the AddIn is not lodaed and the reason is a runtime error.
    We can see that no code in our Addin is executed because no entries in our logfile is found.

What we also has discovered is that when we try to activate the AddIn in Word UI, a new registry key is created in the Current_User-part of the registry with a singel value for Loadbehavior set to 2.

I'm beginning to feel there is some lost registry-value set the interferes with the Addin or that some files are missing.

Where should I begin to look for the cause of all this?

Thanks

Best Regards Peter Karlström Midrange AB, Sweden

Friday, August 24, 2018 9:55 AM

Answers

• Hello Simon

We have not been able to pinpoint exactly which Skype files or registry settings which messes with our Add In.

Our solution is unfortunately to completely uninstall Skype for Business 2013, any Lync installation,  Microsoft Office 2010 and our installation of Add ins, end the reinstall them again.

Friday, November 16, 2018 11:03 AM

All replies

• This kind of problem is really troublesome, since each client environment is different. Have any updates or changes recently? In addition, can we reproduce the problem in the test machine?

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Monday, August 27, 2018 11:50 AM
  • Hello

No specific changes or updates has occurred in this client  that hasn't occurred in the customers other clients.

The reason for the error is more likely to have been a network-reletated error causing Word to stop, or something like that.
    Because of this, the error is not reproducable in a test environment.

I have over the years seen odd registry values indicating an Office Addin to be inactivated and/or blocked, but this was some years ago, and I don't remember the location in the registry other than it was in the CURRENT_USER part.

Is there som documentation describing which specific registry keys has the capability to block an Add In like whats happening here?

What role has the Office PIA Redist? We have no dependency to this in our MSI-package and it is obviously not nedded since all the other clients are working.
    Can there be something wrong with PIA that is not repaired when Office is reinstalled?

Monday, August 27, 2018 3:04 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Sorry for late response. It should be loading issue. Can we output the error message or collect event of Windows machine? As you mentioned that just a couple of clients has been getting problems. So, are there any obvious differences between these few faulty machines and the others? 

For more information, please see Registry entries for VSTO Add-ins

Architecture of VSTO Add-ins

Best Regards,

Simon

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

• Proposed as answer by Simon Wu-MSFT Monday, September 3, 2018 10:26 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Peter Karlström Monday, November 5, 2018 4:30 PM
    Monday, September 3, 2018 7:03 AM
  • Hello Simon

I have read both articles you recommended, but have got no closer a solution.
    I was thinking it maybe could be a problem if some referenced file are missing on the client, so I suggested to the customer to run Depends.exe 32-bit on the faulty client. You find this here: http://www.dependencywalker.com/
    They have and I got the report just now, and can't really figure which of these files makes Word Add in not to start but at the same time makes no problem for the Excel Add in to start.
    Do you know how to analyse this DWI-file which they saved from the client?
    I have put a copy on my OneDrive disk if you want to have a look in it.
    Here is the link: Depends report

Friday, September 7, 2018 11:51 AM
  • So far, I think the most important thing is how to collect error messages. And for the tool that you used, I have read the log you provide and found no valuable information. In addition, depending on my research, there are several ways to debug VSTO and you can try it:
    1. Troubleshoot Office solutions by using the event viewer     Details  

2. Client Troubleshooter    Details

Also, there is a way to output the error message in the program, you can write the log when the program starts, to see which step the program went.

Monday, September 10, 2018 9:38 AM
  • Hello Simon

I had hoped to return with a result from my customer by now regarding the eventlog and client troubleshooter, but they have made other priorities.

As soon as this is accomplished I will get back to the forum with the results.

Friday, September 21, 2018 2:37 PM
  • Hello Simon

We are getting very suspicious on a couple of circumstances regarding our clients.
    The problems started when the customer began deploying Lync and Skype for business clients.
    Initially they managed to find out which version of Skype for Business 2013 that was compatible with Microsoft Office 2010, and especially Word 2010.

Now it seems they have lost track of deployed Skype/Lync versions, but considering the amount of Skype versions released from Microsoft, I am not surprised.

Are there any recommendations available regarding these products?

At the moment the faulty clients are running this:
    Microsoft Office Standard 2010, version 14.0.7208.5000 32-bit
    Skype for business - Microsoft Lync 2013 15.0.4737.1000 MSO (15.0.4711.1000) 32-bit

Monday, November 5, 2018 4:47 PM
  • Hello Simon

We have not been able to pinpoint exactly which Skype files or registry settings which messes with our Add In.

Our solution is unfortunately to completely uninstall Skype for Business 2013, any Lync installation,  Microsoft Office 2010 and our installation of Add ins, end the reinstall them again.

Friday, November 16, 2018 11:03 AM