Azure Storage Vs Azure SQL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have to store the data that consists of some attributes (like id,summary,description etc) and an image. Now which option will go best?

1. Storing all the attributes in Azure SQL and image in Azure Storage with reference as a relational Key.

2. Storing all the stuff into one Azure Storage.

3. Anything else.. (Please specify with some learning material).

Regards,

Muhammad Usman

Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As you said, the data doesn't needs relationships, I think you could save your file attributes to azure storage table, it is cheaper,  please have a look at this article.

Here is a snippet.

In deciding whether to use Azure Table Storage, you must look at cost and performance. Table Storage is much more economical than the same data stored in a SQL database. However you must carefully consider to what extent the data makes use of SQL's relational features such as joins, filtering, queries, etc. If the data makes little use of such features then it is a good candidate for storage in an Azure Table.

One common design pattern where you can consider Table Storage involves a table with many rows, such as the Customers table in the common AdventureWorks sample database, where a number of columns are not used by a majority of Customers, but only by a small subset of Customers. It is a common design pattern to split the columns off into a second table (perhaps named CustomerMiscellany), with an optional 1-to-0 relationship between Customer and the second table. You could consider moving the second table to Table Storage. You would have to assess whether the size of the table, and the access patterns, made this cost-effective.

About the performance, please have a look at this article: http://codebetter.com/dariosolera/2011/10/14/azure-table-storage-performace-considerations/

Best Regards,

Jambor

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 13, 2014 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

These according to the specific circumstances, Azure Table Storage does not provide a way to represent relationships between data, however, Azure SQL Database allows you to define relationships between data stored in different tables by using foreign keys, if the data doesn't need relationships you could choose the second one, else you could choose the first one, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj553018.aspx to see the detailed difference.  

Best Regards,

Jambor

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, October 10, 2014 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

These according to the specific circumstances, Azure Table Storage does not provide a way to represent relationships between data, however, Azure SQL Database allows you to define relationships between data stored in different tables by using foreign keys, if the data doesn't need relationships you could choose the second one, else you could choose the first one, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj553018.aspx to see the detailed difference.  

Best Regards,

Jambor

Friday, October 10, 2014 2:37 AM
  • My app basically runs 99% on Azure SQL but for images I store them in Blob Storage. I just store an ID in SQL that links to the blob storage.
    Friday, October 10, 2014 4:00 AM
  • Thanks Craig vn

Is this a good option?

Does it suffers any performance issue?

Friday, October 10, 2014 6:40 AM
  • Thanks Jambor yao

My Data doesnt needs relationships

Friday, October 10, 2014 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

As you said, the data doesn't needs relationships, I think you could save your file attributes to azure storage table, it is cheaper,  please have a look at this article.

Here is a snippet.

In deciding whether to use Azure Table Storage, you must look at cost and performance. Table Storage is much more economical than the same data stored in a SQL database. However you must carefully consider to what extent the data makes use of SQL's relational features such as joins, filtering, queries, etc. If the data makes little use of such features then it is a good candidate for storage in an Azure Table.

One common design pattern where you can consider Table Storage involves a table with many rows, such as the Customers table in the common AdventureWorks sample database, where a number of columns are not used by a majority of Customers, but only by a small subset of Customers. It is a common design pattern to split the columns off into a second table (perhaps named CustomerMiscellany), with an optional 1-to-0 relationship between Customer and the second table. You could consider moving the second table to Table Storage. You would have to assess whether the size of the table, and the access patterns, made this cost-effective.

About the performance, please have a look at this article: http://codebetter.com/dariosolera/2011/10/14/azure-table-storage-performace-considerations/

Best Regards,

Jambor

Monday, October 13, 2014 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

I will mark my post as answer, if you find that doesn't give you help, please feel free unmark it.

Best Regards,

Jambor

Friday, October 17, 2014 1:47 AM