none
DHCP popup message RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I am running Windows CE 6.0.

I am seeing the following message popup on my Windows CE 6.0 terminal.

I am not really having any network problems connecting to the terminal over the network, nor do I seem to be having any networks problems accessing the terminal. This messaging is just popping up intermittently, but has been popping up much more often.

A customer is also reporting seeing this on a regular basis on some of our Windows CE 6.0 terminals.

Any ideas on why this is happening and any suggestions to a solution to prevent it from popping up all the time?

Could there be some registry timeout value that is set incorrectly? What triggers this message to pop up on the screen?

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Chulk,

Have you recently changed the Networking hardware or provider at the site?  This message is telling you that it is unable to get a DHCP IP address. It seems you are assuming this message is incorrect but you should actually confirm that.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Wired or wireless networking? Looks like wired Ethernet....

This usually indicates that the DHCP server is unreachable (down), that the broadcast message sent from the CE device is ignored, filtered, or blocked, or that DHCP assigning addresses from a limited range and can't assign a new one to this device. For example, you might set up your DHCP server to use range 192.168.122.150-250, giving you 101 distinct addresses. However, you might have 101 devices that are "nominally" using their assigned addresses, so when the CE device attempts to connect it can't get an address. This can happen even when most of those address assignments are dead because of devices powered down or otherwise unconnected. The server can be configured to recycle, of course, and to do so more-quickly, but the lease duration on the address is usually 24 hours.

If that doesn't seem to be the problem, check the Ethernet address of the CE network adapter. If it's FFFFFFFF or something, the DHCP server may not be able or wiling to respond to the DHCP request.

Finally, it could be that the lease time on the address is really short, causing the CE device to very frequently try to renew the lease. Maybe the server is blocking super-frequent packets or the connect is somewhat unreliable for IP, not TCP, packet transfer, causing the occasional DHCP packet loss and failure to renew.

Almost all of the causes can be diagnosed with a good network sniffer. Ufasoft should be around the office somewhere, although you should get the latest version. You want packets time-correlated with the reported error. You might also build the OS kernel with debug output turned on for the NDIS/networking components and capture that information looking for more details. There should be debug messages when DHCP leases are renewed, etc.

Paul T.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 10:28 PM
  • Chulk

I have noticed that also, but have not looked into it.  My gut tells me that there was a QFE that caused - a few years ago.  What I have noticed is that this message seems to pop up just before Ethernet gets fully configured and shows as connected in the system tray.  Notice that in your screen shot, the message is displayed, but the icon in the system tray shows as connected.

Sorry, I don't have an answer though.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman
    I work for Eurotech

• Proposed as answer by Paul G. Tobey Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:01 PM