Tablet Device Application Development RRS feed

• Question

• User1858009984 posted

I need to create an ASP.Net web Application for both PC Browsers and Tablet devices.

so how to create for Tablet Devices. how to proceed, what are the steps need to do.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:01 PM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

I've used this in the past, so I hope that it is fairly helpful to you.

Basically, there are two types of "mobile" applications that you could write : web applications and native mobile applications ("apps"). The first of those two are applications that can run within the browser instead of on a specific device and function the same as most web sites (these are the type of applications that would be built using ASP.NET). The second type of applications are native applications that must be built and compiled specifically to be installed and to run on a specific native device (such as Windows Phone, IOS, or Android).

Consider Responsive Web Applications

Depending on your requirements, a responsive web application may be a much easier to implement solution as you'll just have to design a single web application that will run on any device (phone, tablet, desktop) that has a web browser and your users will enjoy the same experience (thanks to Responsive Design).

If your intention is to develop a web application, then you should be alright as far as it being "universally accessible". Regardless of how you elect to develop it (Web Forms, MVC, etc.) it will run within just about any browser on any device that has access to the web. If your concerns lie with it's appearance, then you might want to consider designing it using a  so that it maintains a uniform look across all devices and platforms.

Consider using one of the many Responsive Design Frameworks that are out there for your site, such as the Twitter Bootstrap. Responsive design focuses on making your site easily usable and accessible from basically any resolution and devices available.

These could fairly easily be integrated into a Web Forms or MVC application and would basically be all that you would need to use : 

This would really eliminate having to distinguish between a mobile and traditional (desktop) CSS file for each of the pages within your website. The above articles are specific to integrating Bootstrap (one of the most popular Responsive Design frameworks out there) into your ASP.NET Applications.

The MVC "Mobile" templates that are offered through Visual Studio could be a variant of this, however it wouldn't be taken to the extreme that it is within one of these frameworks.

Regarding Native Applications and Xamarin

There isn't going to be any completely universal application that is going to work across all devices  and environments in a "native" application sense. Each application is going to require its own development to target details specific to each device (for instance iOS, Android, Windows Phone will all be different environments and would all require their own applications).

I would HIGHLY recommend looking into Xamarin and some of their products, which are specifically geared for developing native iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile applications using C# (so the transition would be very minor and you wouldn't have to go learn Objective-C etc.)

I have used them in the past to develop some iOS "Apps" and I was more than impressed with how easy their tools were to use and how smooth the transition was from working in something like Visual Studio to Xamarin Studio (their IDE). Depending on your Application and what it does, you may also consider looking into PhoneGap, which aims at creating applications in a cross-platform way that can be installed on Android, iOS and other devices.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:04 PM