none
Can the Add-In Name be removed from a Tool Tip In the Ribbon? RRS feed

• Question

• We've repurposed a control in the Ribbon.  The "Filter" button in Excel.

What we notice is that when we hover our cursor over the Filter button the name of the Add-In appears there.   

Is there a way to have that not appear?  We don't need to rename it.  We would simply like nothing to be there as if our Add-In were not loaded.

I read Cindy Meister's response from the following thread How to disable the popup (tooltip) on Ribbon Button
    "
    The reason for this lies in the number of "impolite" third-party add-ins multitudes of people have used in the past. "
    Does this still apply in Office 2013 and above?
    • Edited by GermanEZI Monday, April 17, 2017 5:47 PM correction
    Monday, April 17, 2017 5:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

I tested in 15.0.4919.1002 and 16.0.7329.1051. The issue still exists in Office 2013. But in Office 2016 the add-in name has been hided.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Yes, nothing has been changed so far.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

• Marked as answer by GermanEZI Sunday, April 23, 2017 6:06 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:18 PM
  • Thank Eugene.  So if your Add-In is loaded and you hover over a button that you repurposed, the Add-In name will appear in the pop-up window.

Got it.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:57 PM
  • I have a copy of Office 2016.  I will try it out there tonight and get back to you tonight.
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:58 PM
  • Hello Celeste,

The issue remains.  I went to a machine running office 2016 and found that the Add-In name remains.  

I built a simple VSTO Add-In and repurposed the Filter button.

When I hovered the mouse over the Filter button the popup window appeared and my Add-In name was there.

Maybe my original question lead you in the wrong direction.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui" onLoad="Ribbon_Load">
    	<commands>
    		 <command idMso="Filter" onAction="Hello" getEnabled="true"/>
    	</commands>
      <ribbon>
        <tabs>
          <tab idMso="TabAddIns">
            <group id="MyGroup"
                   label="My Group">
            </group>
          </tab>
        </tabs>
      </ribbon>
    </customUI>

Sunday, April 23, 2017 6:05 PM
  • Thanks Eugene.  YOu're right.  Nothing's changed.

I tested it out for myself today.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 6:06 PM