none
In Visual Studio 2015 update 2, Solution Explorer doesn't expand folders

Question

• Anybody seen this and fixed it? I open a project, click a folder in the solution explorer, and the expand icon changes, but the content is not displayed. Any suggestions?
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Anders Nygaard1,

I don't find this problem in my Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise Update 2. Please check whether all files under the folder are include in project? You can select the folder and then click the "Show all files" to check whether the files included or not.

Then please check whether the files in that folder are hidden. You can add a new file for this folder through right-click folder -> Add -> New Items, whether the added new file also doesn't show.

If files included and new items also can't be seen, please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Run Visual Studio in safe mode to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    2. Close all third part software when running Visual Studio, such as antivirus.
    3. Repair your Visual Studio through Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio 2015 -> Change -> Repair.

In addition, please provide a screenshot to help us understanding how does the folder show when the file missing.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, April 15, 2016 5:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Anders Nygaard1,

I don't find this problem in my Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise Update 2. Please check whether all files under the folder are include in project? You can select the folder and then click the "Show all files" to check whether the files included or not.

Then please check whether the files in that folder are hidden. You can add a new file for this folder through right-click folder -> Add -> New Items, whether the added new file also doesn't show.

If files included and new items also can't be seen, please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Run Visual Studio in safe mode to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    2. Close all third part software when running Visual Studio, such as antivirus.
    3. Repair your Visual Studio through Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio 2015 -> Change -> Repair.

In addition, please provide a screenshot to help us understanding how does the folder show when the file missing.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, April 15, 2016 5:16 AM
  • The problem was that solution explorer didn't work. In this image, I've expanded a few folders, but I can't see the content inside.

I repaired Visual Studio, but no luck.

I started Visual Studio in safe mode, and it did the trick. I then started to uninstall extensions, and I find it likely that it has something to do with the Visual Studio Extension for Textmate Grammar or Developer Analytics Tools, but I can't say for sure which. Anyways, a repair later things are back to normal (and my deleted extensions are back and working).

Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:43 AM
  • Hi Anders Nygaard1,

I'm glad that you can working as normal and thanks for your response to this issue.

According to your test result, the problem is caused by the Textmate Grammar or Developer Analysics Tools. Please try install these extensions one by one to confirm which one causes this issue.

Since you have resolved the problem, please mark the helpful reply as answer which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

If any other questions about Visual Studio IDE in future, please feel free to come back to our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 22, 2016 1:17 AM