none
Application Insights RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

We are trying to develop a demo on Application insight. Please provide me with some help with the same (WCF services specifically)

Is it mandatory to check in all the codes in Visual studio online for monitoring the site?

Please share any links, articles or videos or a document which can help me move further, as I cannot find these answers anywhere else.

Thanks

• Changed type Anna Galaeva Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:28 PM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:39 AM

Answers

• Should have posted earlier that the Application Insight for my service has started functioning. Solution for this was installing Application Insights tool for Visual Studio.

But I have another question now related to the security.

I want to know how secured is my connection ? Is agent to cloud comunication secured or open http?

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:28 AM
  • Hello Sweta,

Communication is performed over HTTPS channel. Cloud service has SSL cert and "Require SSL" setting as far as I know.

Dmitry Matveev

Friday, March 28, 2014 8:30 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hello Sweta,

>>Is it mandatory to check in all the codes in Visual studio online for monitoring the site?

No, as a matter of fact with the current implementation of Application Insights (1/17/2014) the only thing you would gain by having your project checked in is deployments markers that know which changeset caused an exception.

>>Please provide me with some help with WCF services specifically

In the current builds of Application Insights won't monitor services that are JUST WCF services. If you have a service being monitored running under IIS it will show WCF service calls as dependencies.

As far as more information did you look at the videos in the Create>Application menu?

Thanks

Chuck

Saturday, January 18, 2014 12:24 AM
  • Hi Chuck,

The site is asking me to download MMA agent which has to be copied and installed in my web server. But in my case I am developing a sample service in my local host for testing this new feature, so how can I proceed here? and where should I copy this installer to?

And how is MMA agent working here?

Sweta

Friday, January 31, 2014 11:37 AM
  • Hi Sweta,

As Chuck was saying you won't be able to monitor your WCF service directly. You will need to create some type of web application that calls your service. Once you have a Web application on you local IIS, you can turn on or install Application Insights and it will auto-discover your Web application for monitoring.

Let me know if that answers your question.

Johnny Coleman [MSFT] Any code posted to this Forum is [As-Is] With No Warranties

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:49 PM
  • Yes, I have hosted the WCF service on IIS already but while installing the MMA agent, am not able to find any option for Application Insight. Instead its asking me to provide management group names. After sometime it finishes installation and then I cannot see anything.

Is it mandatory to use either windows or web server alone to use this feature?

Thursday, February 6, 2014 6:36 AM
  • Should have posted earlier that the Application Insight for my service has started functioning. Solution for this was installing Application Insights tool for Visual Studio.

But I have another question now related to the security.

I want to know how secured is my connection ? Is agent to cloud comunication secured or open http?

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:28 AM
  • Hello Sweta,

Communication is performed over HTTPS channel. Cloud service has SSL cert and "Require SSL" setting as far as I know.

Dmitry Matveev

Friday, March 28, 2014 8:30 PM
    Owner