open gl support for windows developer preview ?

Question

• Tried installing angry birds for pc on windows developer preview

it installs fine but doesnt run

can someone help me

it gives the error that open gl is not supported 

what does it mean

Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:25 PM

All replies

• This is an expected behavior. Windows never supported OpenGL. The support was added by a third-party drivers. Try to install appropriate drivers for your videocard.

• Edited by Igor Leyko Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:47 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Just a note, Windows does support its own opengl implementation in Windows SDK. But that 1.1  implementation never got updated after Microsoft quit from the OpenGL board in 2003, so you will get errors when you use modern versions of the specification.

If that implementation is not overridden by video card's ICD,  most likely it will fallback to a software layer, which is probably not what you choose a hardware-accelerate rendering protocol for.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Just to clarify, yes, OpenGL (1.1.0 or some-such version) is supplied and supported in VS2011, but is useless in today's 3.x/4.x OpenGL-based code (assuming you want to move past only the most basic 'immediate-mode' implementation of OpenGL).

To get OpenGL 3.x/4.x to work, you must (as has been the case for some years now) download and install the latest graphics drivers for your video card (and where required, SDK's), which should then automatically install the latest-supported OpenGL implementation for your card. Note that you may also have to source and install the correct updated OpenGL support headers (such as gl3.h, wglext.h, etc.) and ensure that VC2011 has a valid include path to find them - if not, many OpenGL features may not be usable without explicit prototypes/defines in your code.

After a little minor fiddling, I successfully loaded, converted, built and ran my latest VC2010-centric OpenGL project with little effort; the resulting application ran exactly as intended, with the only differences in Windows 8 being the number of supported 'pure' fullscreen modes on my card has dropped from 333 to a mere 79 (initial testing seems to indicate that Win8 kindly deprecates non-truecolor modes when running a truecolor desktop), and the stretching of graphics to fit the current aspect ratio rather than applying the 'black bars' approach - my nVidia Win7 drivers are happy to remedy that on the fly as required, but applying a code-based fix (such as a post-process shader) would not be too difficult either if your card/driver doesn't do native hardware aspect-stretching and you really need to support a ratio other than that of the current desktop. Not really issues, but I figure such info might be worth noting for other OpenGL developers.

The upshot is, VS2011 OpenGL is almost exactly the same as previous versions, and is set up the same way. For more details, see your card vendor or Khronos. Now, the next trick is to get OpenGL and Metro to play nicely together so we can do something fun like teach an old game new tricks...MetroQuake springs to mind... ;}

• Proposed as answer by Eric A. Carter Friday, September 23, 2011 8:42 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 8:29 PM