none
execute report writer? RRS feed

• Question

•  

hi!

i'm trying to build an application wherein by clicking a button/link it will call the report writer... could that be done?

thanks!

Monday, August 13, 2007 2:58 AM

All replies

•  

What do you mean report writer??
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:09 AM
  •  

let me explain more of what i am trying to do.. the user will be the one to create the report. and i dont know how that could be achieved.. thats why i was thinking that when the user clicks on the button it will launch a report writer wherein the user will design the report. (Report should be rdlc)

sorry if i am rather confusing..

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Are you trying to say that the user will do the actuall desgin??or just give the contents of the report??If just the content,you can use the parameters,But if the actual design,uhm..maybe theres a way that will allow you to launch the report writer itself,and as of now,that i dont know..hehe..but i will try to see anything about it.But first,clear your self..hehe..

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 5:21 AM
  • ehehe.. i'm clear ^_^

yes the user will be doing the design.

if i cant launch the report writer is there any other way to do this?

thanks! 

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 6:11 AM
  • I don't think there's a canned runtime report designer out there... or at least I've not found one...

There's some samples (on gotreportviewer.com, perhaps, I don't have time to go hunting) that allow the user some runtime control over report behavior.

But from my limited knowledge and perspective this is a pretty tall order... At least in the sense of making a more or less general solution to the question of allowing runtime design and generation...

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 3:16 PM
  •  

i just had one question,why is it that the user would be making the design?Isn't it sould be the the user would only select the output of the report.But that was just a comment.Im just curious..hehe
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:41 AM
  • because the user will customize the report to their liking.. for example user1 wants report1 to have the title as a header while user2 doesn't want it so user2 will delete it.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:06 AM
  •  

ah ok..so in that case,you really need to launch a report viewer.But as of now, for what i had few understanding.Uhm you need to install a component of the report viewer.That's just all for now.I will try to find more solution to that.Just need some time..hehe..
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:08 AM
  • ok thanks in advance!
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:12 AM
  • I do believe there are somewhat limited (in scope and functionality) runtime-customizable report examples out there.

For example go check out gotreportviewer.com for the "Generate RDLC dynamically..." samples. I believe I've stumbled across others but didn't save references.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:33 PM
  • Oh, and yes you'll need to install the reportviewer runtime on any machine that is to display reports (at least if you're talking about localmode reports, which is what I'm assuming...)

We added the RV redist to our install media and installer configuration and that's all it took. That part at least is painless and a no brainer. It took us all of a few minutes to add it to our installation media.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:37 PM