none
Add some details to storport miniport driver RRS feed

• Question

• My device uses an inbox storage miniport driver.

I want to add some details to the crash dump when a BSOD is generated due to my device . 

As the driver is an inbox driver, and it is a storage miniport driver, I cannot do anything in the driver code  . 

Is it possible to add a filter driver kind of layer where I implement a BugCheckCallback from which I add some details to the crash dump ?

If not is there a way to do ?

Thursday, February 13, 2020 9:34 AM

All replies

• I presume that you want to get additional info from your hardware when the system crashes, and then write that info to the bug check record, correct? In that case, you will need the addresses of the device's hardware resources (mapped register space), and for that you will need to write a PnP upper-level function filter driver that catches the IRP_MN_START_DEVICE IRP (EvtDevicePrepareHardware in KMDF) when it is delivered to the DevStack (this IRP contains those addresses). Writing these requires a very good understanding of PnP and the storage stack. Look at the Toaster filter sample in the WDK

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Friday, February 14, 2020 11:29 PM