none
Office Customization Error - AddInAlreadyInstalledException RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I developed a Word 2010 template with Ribbon customization using Visual Studio 2010.

I created a setup project and installed the template using the MSI to a common location (since this will is a workgroup template).

After I install the template and create a new document using the template for the first time everything works perfectly, the template and the customization load. When I save the document and open it everything looks fine (with the template and the customized ribbon loading).

When I try to create a new document again the next time using the template, it throws the below error:

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.AddInAlreadyInstalledException: The customization cannot be installed because another version is currently installed and cannot be upgraded from this location. To install this version of the customization, first use Add or Remove Programs to uninstall this program: XXX. Then install the new customization from the following location: <VSTO location>

Users will be using the template often to create new documents and I would like to prevent them from Uninstalling and Installing the VSTO each time they create a new document. Is is the intended behavior of VSTO applications ? Any suggestions or workarounds will be appreciated.

P.S. Unable to insert the image and hence only the error text.

Thanks.

Friday, August 30, 2013 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I can’t reproduce the issue on my lab machine(Windows 7 + Office 2010). Below is my steps:

1. Create a simple word template add-in with custom ribbon.
    2. Publish the add-in to a local file system
    3. Modify the workgroup template location to the add-in published file location
    4. New a word document with custom template, save and reopen it
    5. New a word document with custom template again

I recommend you make the add-in project as simple as possible to check whether some code causing the problem .

If the issue still exists, please share you code sample we can reproduce the issue in skydrive.

You can remove sensitive information from the project, keep it as simple as possible for reproducing the issue only.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Thanks for your response. The project I created is a Word template with custom ribbon and not an add-in (document level project).

I followed all the steps mentioned by you, the only difference is I use MSI to deploy my templates.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 3:11 PM