Dynamic Data Entities does not recognize Child Types (Inheritance SubTypes) RRS feed

• Question

• User1801691924 posted

I am using Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta. I have created a Dynamic Data Entities project, and while it generally works, the MetaModel seems to ignore my TPH & TPT subtype entities. The base entity type is present & accounted for, but any attempt to reference the Child entity types via Dynamic Data results in a table not found error. I know that the Entity Model is fine because I am able to query the child entity types outside of Dynamic Data (using EntityDataSource or  ADO.Net Data Services, etc.).

I find it hard to believe this is by design. Is this a known issue? Workaround?

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:58 PM

All replies

• User-797310475 posted

Hi,

This is a know issue and there are currently no workarounds. The only solution to the problem is to write a new DataModelProvider for EF that would include child entities. This is something that we are planning to do as part of our Dynamic Data Futures and we will post an update once it is available.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:57 PM
  • User-2013179010 posted

This is essential for my current project (probably is for a lot of folks I mean come on it's inheritance) and with no workaround or idea of when the feature might be available I'm wondering if I'll have to ditch DD this time round. That would be sad because DD would make my life so much easier; so here's a vote for support for derived entity types ASAP.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:00 AM
  • User-797310475 posted

Hi zwitterion,

we do not have a timeline right now of when a workaround will be available, but since a lot of people are asking, we will try to prioritize this.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:23 PM
  • User976268557 posted

One temparary solution for this is to get all the base type to client. and then check the type you need in client side.

Friday, September 26, 2008 11:47 AM