List workflow using SharePoint 2010 send email RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am currently customizaing the sharepoint 2010 List workflow using SharePoint Designer 2010. I am trying to customize the email template. I am able to put dynamic template. However the email user(s) TO and CC are currently hardcoded. using the people/group picker. Is there a way to populate the TO email dynamically based on the SharePoint list filed value say Manager field?

So when item 1 is submitted, his manager gets email. Item 2 from person 2 gets submitted his manager get email alert?

Thanks

Monday, August 6, 2012 6:30 PM

Answers

• Yes there is.

In the TO and the CC you will see an icon. Click that and select Workflow lookup for user. A dialog box will appear asking you for the details. Select Current Item and input the desired User field that you want to use.

See screenshot for details

• Edited by Ranjoe Monday, August 6, 2012 6:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by ShriG Monday, August 6, 2012 10:51 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 6:39 PM

All replies

• Yes there is.

In the TO and the CC you will see an icon. Click that and select Workflow lookup for user. A dialog box will appear asking you for the details. Select Current Item and input the desired User field that you want to use.

See screenshot for details

• Edited by Ranjoe Monday, August 6, 2012 6:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by ShriG Monday, August 6, 2012 10:51 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 6:39 PM
  • can you provide me the variable details sample? I checked but emails are not triggering. However the variable gets the value in the body but not in the email.

Here is my scenario: Let us say my company is XYZ, I maintain the my customer list and who is responsible in my company to deal with customer.

Customer List

CustomerA        InternalUser           internaluseremail

Abc                     Mike                      mike@xyz.com

DEF                     Steve                   steve@xyz.com

CustomerSurvey List

questionare     created          email                         IsinternalUser

1.ABCQuestioare  ABCcust    ABCcust@abc.com     No

2. DEFQuestionre  DEFcust   DEFcust@def.com      No

When ABCcust submits a questionare item, I want to notify email to Mike of internal user.

What SharePoint designer does is, it allows only people or group to be picked. It does not provide lookup link to insert in the To value. Only subject/body, there is a way to insert dynamic values.

Thanks again,

Monday, August 6, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Then what you want to do is everything up until Ranjoe's last screenshot (the Lookup for Person or Group step)and instead of using "current item" you will use "customer list" as your data source. Pick the internaluseremail column as your "field from source" then pick the right way to match it (probably customer list->customerA = customersurvey list->customer).

Marlene Lanphier MCTS

Monday, August 6, 2012 7:16 PM