none
base64binary insert to BLOB problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a BizTalk 2006 (not R2) application. In it I receive a call from another system with a record and a binary file loaded in a base64binary field. BizTalk adds some string and int data fields via transformation map to the inbound data and calls a stored procedure on SQL 2008 to insert the record to a database and the binary to a BLOB.

When BizTalk calls the stored proc, SQL replies with the error "Cannot convert ntext to varbinary(max)". I find this strange since I do not change the binary field itself other than transfering the base64binary field inbound to a base64binary outbound.

I have tested the stored procedure with a simple web page that uploads a file.  It works fine. I also looked ate the suspended message and saw nothing that jumped out as wrong.
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 4:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Carl

We are looking more into this and will soon get back to you on this with more details.

However, i would like to mention here that we do not support varbinary type for the old SQL adapter as mentioned on

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa578440.aspx

• The varbinary(MAX) data type

• The varchar(MAX) data type

• The nvarchar(MAX) data type

• The xml data type

These data types are not supported by the SQL adapter in BizTalk Server.

But we are allowed to generate schemas for Stored Proc having similar types. We'll soon be back with more explanations on this.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:40 AM