Standard fonts in Visual Studio aren't packaged why ?

Question

• Hi,

I did choose a font in Visual Studio for my game but once the game is packaged and deploy, this font is replaced by another one.  Why the font isn't packaged AND/OR kept for the game ?

In Blend there's nothing showing that a font isn't standard or anything so I assume any font I choose on there should be packaged ?  Even if it's not packaged, someone having Windows 8.1 should have these fonts already ?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:50 AM

Answers

• Blend and VS show the fonts on your machine. This will be a combination of fonts available on all systems and ones specific to your system. They may be culture specific, installed by your OEM, by applications you've installed, etc.

If you use the fonts suggested by the guidelines then they should be available on other machines. Otherwise they may or may not be available and Windows will fall back to a default if you don't package the font with your app.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by GearWorld Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:38 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:52 PM
    Owner

All replies

• If it's a standard font then it should be on the target system.

If it's not then you need to make sure you have a license to distribute it and then you can include it in your app package.

Blend doesn't know where the fonts came from, only which fonts are installed on the current system.

See the Guidelines for Fonts for suggestions on fonts.

--Rob

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:21 PM
    Owner
  • I thought what I was picking in Blend or VS were fonts that everybody using Windows 8.1 had.  I never downloaded any fonts from the web or anywhere else so what I have in Windows 8.1 should be available to those downloading my app !?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:44 PM
  • Blend and VS show the fonts on your machine. This will be a combination of fonts available on all systems and ones specific to your system. They may be culture specific, installed by your OEM, by applications you've installed, etc.

If you use the fonts suggested by the guidelines then they should be available on other machines. Otherwise they may or may not be available and Windows will fall back to a default if you don't package the font with your app.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by GearWorld Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:38 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:52 PM
    Owner
  • I see.  Ok I'll search for the way to package the font I pick then.  Thank you for the hints.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:37 PM