none
vsto 2008 and 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i have a question to vsto 2008 and 2010.

It is possible to parallel installation of vsto for office in 2008 and 2010?

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Gregori

the discussion at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb608603.aspx and the links it contains should help you sort this and understand. Here's a relevant quote from that page:

<<VSTOEE.dll makes sure that the correct version of the Visual Studio Tools for Office runtime is loaded for the solution and the installed version of Office. Although multiple versions of the Visual Studio Tools for Office runtime can be installed on the same computer, only one instance of VSTOEE.dll is installed at a time. This is the VSTOEE.dll that was included with the latest version of the runtime installed on the computer. For more information about the different versions of the Visual Studio Tools for Office runtime that can be used for other solutions, see Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office.>>

This discussion is also helpful:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee712596.aspx

To summarize, if your add-ins target the 3.5 and/or 4.0 .NET Frameworks they can be installed and run in-parallel.

It's not the version of VSTO that creates an add-in that determines whether things can be run in-parallel, it's the version of the .NET Framework. In earlier versions of VSTO and Office it was not possible to run VSTO projects that used diffrent versions of the .NET Framework because Office could only load and support one version of the .NET Framework at a time. That restriction has been lifted in more recent versions of Office and VSTO.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Gregori Wald Monday, May 21, 2012 6:04 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:58 AM
  • to extend what Cindy said - now (VSTOR 2010) it is better but remember that you have to have add-ins that will be understood by VSTOR 2010 - proper vsto file, base types, etc. So it does not mean that you can use verbatim add-in for VSTO 2005 with its manifest file, you have to migrate its sources to VS 2010 and recompile there, even if target .net framework remains the same.
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:11 AM

All replies

• no, only single VSTOR will run on a target machine
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Hi Gregori

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking from the Developer point of view, or for end-users?

You should be able to install Visual Studio 2008 and 2010, with VSTO, in-parallel on a development machine. What you can't do, however, is install more than one version of Office...

• Marked as answer by Gregori Wald Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:23 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Gregori Wald Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:23 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Actually you can have mutiple versions of Office on the same machine, but only the latest will be able to load VSTO-based add-ins
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Hi Gregori

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking from the Developer point of view, or for end-users?

Hi Cindy,

i mean end-users. We have installed Office 2010 with VSTO 2010. If it Possible to install VSTO 2008 for end-user, parallel with Office/VSTO 2010?

thanks for very fast answer :-)

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Except for Outlook. Only 1 instance of Outlook can be installed on a machine, and Outlook works differently and not as well  if the Office SKU isn't the same as the Outlook SKU.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"DamianD" <=?utf-8?B?RGFtaWFuRA==?=> wrote in message news:49caa2a4-8fb9-4eeb-a3ab-a10613dbd88b...
    Actually you can have mutiple versions of Office on the same machine, but only the latest will be able to load VSTO-based add-ins

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Hi Ken,

thanks for this information, that the Outlook SKU not the same as Office SKU!!!

Thats very important for me.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:59 PM
  • That's not exactly what I said.

If you get Outlook with Office (Office Professional for example) the SKU will be the same for all the Office applications. If you install Office side by side you cannot install side by side Outlook's, only one version of Outlook per machine will work. In that case the Office SKU without Outlook would not match the SKU for the Office version with Outlook.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Gregori Wald" <=?utf-8?B?R3JlZ29yaSBXYWxk?=> wrote in message news:f85c4ef9-b513-404d-bc40-35fb1a7d77a1...

Hi Ken,

thanks for this information, that the Outlook SKU not the same as Office SKU!!!

Thats very important for me.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:27 PM
  • going back to your original version - No, only one version of VSTO will work at any given time on end user machine
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Hi Gregori

the discussion at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb608603.aspx and the links it contains should help you sort this and understand. Here's a relevant quote from that page:

<<VSTOEE.dll makes sure that the correct version of the Visual Studio Tools for Office runtime is loaded for the solution and the installed version of Office. Although multiple versions of the Visual Studio Tools for Office runtime can be installed on the same computer, only one instance of VSTOEE.dll is installed at a time. This is the VSTOEE.dll that was included with the latest version of the runtime installed on the computer. For more information about the different versions of the Visual Studio Tools for Office runtime that can be used for other solutions, see Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office.>>

This discussion is also helpful:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee712596.aspx

To summarize, if your add-ins target the 3.5 and/or 4.0 .NET Frameworks they can be installed and run in-parallel.

It's not the version of VSTO that creates an add-in that determines whether things can be run in-parallel, it's the version of the .NET Framework. In earlier versions of VSTO and Office it was not possible to run VSTO projects that used diffrent versions of the .NET Framework because Office could only load and support one version of the .NET Framework at a time. That restriction has been lifted in more recent versions of Office and VSTO.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:58 AM
  • to extend what Cindy said - now (VSTOR 2010) it is better but remember that you have to have add-ins that will be understood by VSTOR 2010 - proper vsto file, base types, etc. So it does not mean that you can use verbatim add-in for VSTO 2005 with its manifest file, you have to migrate its sources to VS 2010 and recompile there, even if target .net framework remains the same.
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:11 AM
  • Hi Damian

But the OP mentions only 2008 and 2010, not 2005...

And an Add-in created using VS 2008 will definitely load in Office 2010 without needing to be recompiled in VS 2010.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:39 AM
  • many thanks for the info.
    helped me a lot!

:-)

Monday, May 21, 2012 6:06 AM