Does VSTA work with Visual Studio Community 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to integrate VSTA into my application and I have seen that requires Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Professional, Premium or Ultimate in order to provide editing and debugging.

Since the latest Visual Studio Community editing is a full version of Visual Studio is it possible to use the Community version for editing and debugging?

Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:51 AM

All replies

• Yes it works. The installer of VSTA 2013 does not alert that the Community Edition is not compatible (it does when only an Express Edition is installed).

In my tests with VSTA using the Visual Studio Community Edition I found no limitation until now. This edition presents itself as a Professional Edition when you have a look on the registry key "Pro":

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\Setup\VS\Pro

If you start Visual Studio using the automation interfaces DTE, the "Edition" property of the _DTE interface also tells me that this is in fact a Professional Edition.

The difference to the Professional Edition seems not to be a technical but a licensing matter.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:52 PM
  • Hi Matthias: 

I have VS Community edition installed and I am getting the following message when trying to open source code through InfoPath: 

The following external components are required to edit your form code. Please install them and try again. 

Microsoft Visual Studio 2012

Visual Studio C# support

Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2012 (Repair after installing Microsoft Visual Stuido)

I have tried repairing VSTA after installing VS Community edition but it is not working. Could you suggest something.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:13 PM
  • Hi:It seems that InfoPath needs VSTA and Visual Studio 2012 and not 2013?
    To use Visual Studio 2013 (Professional/Community Edition at least) you need to install VSTA 2013.
    You may download it from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44213
    VSTA 2013 supports both Visual Studio 2012 and 2013. Which VS version is used is a matter of configuration (e.g. in source code).
    But: I don't know whether InfoPath is compatible with VSTA/Visual Studio 2013.
    I assume that it isn't because it would need some configuration to know that it has to use the VS 2013 version instead of the VS 2012.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:11 AM