Sql Server And Domain Controler RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody
    I am doing the following procedures:
    1 - Install a windows server 2008 r2.
    2- Setup Active Directory on this server and made it a Domain Controller.
    3- Install a secnd windows server 2003 on another pc.
    4- Join the server (step 3) to DC.
    5- Setup Sql Server 2008 R2 on this new server.
    After these procedures I can not connect to sql server from a pc that has not joined to dc.
    How I can solve this problem?

Best Regards
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 3:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I am not sure how you are trying to connect SQL server,I assume u r using  SSMS

Try to fallow below steps

1.Change your SQL server authentication to Mixedmode.

2.Use SA or create one SQL Login with proper privilege in SQL server

3.Enable remote logins in SQL Server

4.Connect using SQL Login or SA

Please paste error message that is u r getting

Sivaprasad.L Together We can Achieve

I am using ssms to connect to sqlserver.

in the server or a pc that have joined to dc i can connect with both windows and sqlserver authentication but from local computer that is not join to dc can not.

Best Regards
    In this case, you cannot use Windows Authentication mode as your local Windows account cannot be recognized by your SQL Server box. However, you should be able to use SQL Server Authentication Mode instead. One more thing is that you need to configure firewall correctly on the SQL Server box, so that you clients can connect to this server properly. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175043.aspx.
    Best Regards | Alex Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by eskandari Friday, June 17, 2011 3:34 PM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:15 AM

All replies

• Can you ping from the servers , using the ip address?If so, try and connect to the SQL Server with ip adress.
    -----------------------
    Jack Vamvas www.sqlserver-dba.com
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:25 AM
  • whats the error you are getting? try http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2007/03/31/named-pipes-provider-error-40-could-not-open-a-connection-to-sql-server.aspx
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Can you ping from the servers , using the ip address?If so, try and connect to the SQL Server with ip adress.
    -----------------------
    Jack Vamvas www.sqlserver-dba.com

yes I can ping server
    Best Regards
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

in the server or a pc that have joined to dc i can connect with both windows and sqlserver authentication but from local computer that is not join to dc can not.

Best Regards
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:24 AM
  • I am using ssms to connect to sqlserver. in the server or a pc that have joined to dc i can connect with both windows and sqlserver authentication but from local computer that is not join to dc can not.
    Best Regards
    would you mind sharing error message please?
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:56 AM
  • PLease Check in SQL configuration manger services TCP/IP protocole is enabled or not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please mark my post as an answer if I helped you to resolve the issue or vote up if I helped you.Thanks. Regards and good Wishes, Maqbool.
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Best Regards
    In this case, you cannot use Windows Authentication mode as your local Windows account cannot be recognized by your SQL Server box. However, you should be able to use SQL Server Authentication Mode instead. One more thing is that you need to configure firewall correctly on the SQL Server box, so that you clients can connect to this server properly. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175043.aspx.
    Best Regards | Alex Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by eskandari Friday, June 17, 2011 3:34 PM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:15 AM