Office Addin Deployement using VS2008 RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi

I am developing a Outlook 2007 Addin using VS2008. I am using ClickOnce deployment for publishing.

My addin is publisshed sucessfully at first time. i installed the setup from installation location. Addin installed and worked fine. I did some modification and publish new version. Here I have a problem.. Publish is completed sucessfully. I open my outlook, here i got an error like...

Name:

From: file:///C:/Documents and Settings/kiran/Desktop/Outlook Project/Working/VS2008 Working/MySample2008/MySample2008/bin/Debug/MySample2008.vsto

The customization cannot be installed because another version is currently installed and cannot be upgraded from this location. To install this version of the customization, first use Add or Remove Programs to uninstall this program: MySample2008. Then install the new customization from the following location: file:///C:/Documents and Settings/kiran/Desktop/Outlook Project/Working/VS2008 Working/MySample2008/MySample2008/bin/Debug/MySample2008.vsto

when i got this error i uninstall the previous version using controlpanel->add/remove programs, and insatlled new version from installation path. Then New addin is added with changes.

What is the probelm with Autoupdate. why it is showing the Error?.

I want to update the modifications automatically in outlook, when i publish new version.

How can we reslove this probelm?.

Regards

Kiran

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:58 PM

Answers

• hi Kiran,

it looks like you are installing the add-in on your development computer.  when you debug your add-in on your development computer, Visual Studio installs the add-in so that Outlook knows where to find it.  when you install the add-in from the publish folder, that's considered to be the second installation. 

per Troubleshooting Office Solution Deployment (2007 System):
    Prompt to Manually Uninstall Appears When You Publish and Install a Solution on the Development Computer

When you build a Visual Studio Tools for Office solution, the built version is automatically registered. If you have previously published and installed the same solution to your development computer, Visual Studio Tools for Office detects that the installation path for the published version and the built version are different after the next build, rebuild, or publish. The error message says "the customization cannot be installed because another version is currently installed and cannot be upgraded from this location." Because rebuilding the solution updates the registry keys, it is necessary to uninstall the first version before publishing, debugging, or running the second version.

To prevent the message from appearing, create another user account on your development computer to test your deployment. Alternatively, you can uninstall the version from the list of installed programs on the computer before you next publish, debug, or rebuild the solution.

• Proposed as answer by Mary Lee - MSFT Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tim Li Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:38 AM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:34 PM
  • Hi M,

Thank you for your assistance,and i have another problem regarding "unknown Publisher".
    we have a small issue regarding the "Publisher" Information in Addin. While i publish the Addin it takes the temperory .pfx(certificate) and it shows the publisher name as "Our Company Name". So we want to change this Publisher Name and add the "Client Name". How can we do this?.
    If we use the 3rd party certificates is my problems are resolved? like....
        1.Unknown publisher
        2.Publisher Name
        3.Install the application without warnings or needing to add us to their trusted  website list.

If we need to use 3rd part certificates, where we can get such a certificate?

Thank & Regards
    Kiran

• Marked as answer by kk.parupalli Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:02 AM
    Monday, November 3, 2008 1:10 PM

All replies

• hi Kiran,

it looks like you are installing the add-in on your development computer.  when you debug your add-in on your development computer, Visual Studio installs the add-in so that Outlook knows where to find it.  when you install the add-in from the publish folder, that's considered to be the second installation. 

per Troubleshooting Office Solution Deployment (2007 System):
    Prompt to Manually Uninstall Appears When You Publish and Install a Solution on the Development Computer

When you build a Visual Studio Tools for Office solution, the built version is automatically registered. If you have previously published and installed the same solution to your development computer, Visual Studio Tools for Office detects that the installation path for the published version and the built version are different after the next build, rebuild, or publish. The error message says "the customization cannot be installed because another version is currently installed and cannot be upgraded from this location." Because rebuilding the solution updates the registry keys, it is necessary to uninstall the first version before publishing, debugging, or running the second version.

To prevent the message from appearing, create another user account on your development computer to test your deployment. Alternatively, you can uninstall the version from the list of installed programs on the computer before you next publish, debug, or rebuild the solution.

• Proposed as answer by Mary Lee - MSFT Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tim Li Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:38 AM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:34 PM
  •  Thank you for your reply.

That problem is resolved and I got another issue. My Add-in is working fine in some of the systems and updated the new versions also. When I tried to install “my Add-in” in some of the systems give the following error while installing.

Name: MySample2008

From: http://myserver/Publish/2008Publish/MySample2008.vsto

Customized functionality in this application will not work because the certificate used to sign the deployment manifest for MySample2008 is not trusted. Contact your administrator for further assistance.

What is the problem with my Add in. Why it is showing this error in some of the systems?

Thanks & Regards
    Kiran.msd

Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:38 PM
  • VSTO security also uses the Internet Explorer zones to determine if an Office solution should be trusted.  see if one of the two workarounds suggested in Troubleshooting Office Solution Security (2007 System) helps to solve your problem.

m.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Hello Mr. M

I added my deployment site as trusted sites list at end users system,Now the /Installation is working fine. Here i faced some problems...

1. I am not able to see the installation path. Under "TrustCenter"-->Add-Ins, My Addin location shows the path as "http://myserver/Publish/....." not like general setup "C://ProgramFiles/MyAddin". How can i customize the Installation path using ClickOnce Deployment. Is it possible to customize?

2. Updation is working fine when i publish new version. But it is not prompt for update automatically it updated with out prompting.when an update is detected, it will provide an option for the user to upgrade their plug-in or cancel. How can we provide this option to end user.

Thanks & Regards
    Kiran

Friday, October 17, 2008 3:58 PM
  • hi Kiran,

1. with ClickOnce, the applications are installed to the ClickOnce cache, a set of hidden directories in the user profile.  you cannot customize the installation location.  for more information, see ClickOnce Cache Overview.

2. if you use the VSTO 3.0 runtime, updates are mandatory.  if a user cancels the update, the add-in is disabled.  if you use VSTO 3.0 SP1 runtime, the user can choose to update or not.  if the user selects no, the previous version of the add-in runs.  if the user selects yes, the add-in is updated and the new version runs. for more information, see the section called Updating Office Solutions in Deploying Office Solutions (2007 System).

ms. m.
    (not Mr.)
    Friday, October 17, 2008 4:11 PM
  •  Hi Ms M,

Thank you for your assistance.

Regarding point 2, I installed VSTO 3.0 SP1 but it is not prompt to user to update or cancel. Still it is updating the new version automatically. What is the problem? I checked the document what you have provided. there i find one statement "Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 (SP1), updates are optional and users can cancel any solution update during the download stage and still run the add-in." So do i need to install this "VS2008 SP1"?.

I have one more problem...i.e I am not able to see the "Office PIA`s" in prerequisites list. My setup is now checking only 3 components in user mechine.
            1) windowsinstaller 3.1
            2) VsTO 3.0 Runtime
            3) .Net framework 3.5.
    I want to Check the Office PIA`s and if reqired "VSTO 3.0 SP1" or "VS2008 SP1" also. How can we add these components to be check in user mechine while installing the ClickOnce Deployment Setup.

Rgards,
    Kiran

Saturday, October 18, 2008 7:18 AM
  • hi Kiran,

VSTO ClickOnce is not like normal ClickOnce.  ClickOnce offers the end user a dialog box that says Update or Skip.  VSTO ClickOnce doesn't offer a dialog box unless the download is taking more than 7 seconds.  even then, the dialog box says Update or Cancel, not Update or Skip.

you need to use VS2008 SP1 to use this Cancel feature and your end users need the VSTO 3.0 SP1 runtime.

about the PIAs, you should automatically see the PIAs if you are using VS2008 SP1.  if you're not using SP1, then you must add the PIAs manually.  for more information, see http://blogs.msdn.com/vsto/archive/2008/05/08/adding-the-office-primary-interop-assemblies-as-a-prerequisite-in-your-clickonce-installer-mary-lee.aspx

m.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Hi M,

Thank you for your assistance,and i have another problem regarding "unknown Publisher".
    we have a small issue regarding the "Publisher" Information in Addin. While i publish the Addin it takes the temperory .pfx(certificate) and it shows the publisher name as "Our Company Name". So we want to change this Publisher Name and add the "Client Name". How can we do this?.
    If we use the 3rd party certificates is my problems are resolved? like....
        1.Unknown publisher
        2.Publisher Name
        3.Install the application without warnings or needing to add us to their trusted  website list.

If we need to use 3rd part certificates, where we can get such a certificate?

Thank & Regards
    Kiran

• Marked as answer by kk.parupalli Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:02 AM
    Monday, November 3, 2008 1:10 PM