Performance Limitations? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1417985901 posted

Hi, We are having some performance issues, with a Self-hosted Persistent Connection.

We are developing a realtime game, it sends updates to the clients every 90ms (not at the same time, theres several game loops going on). the data is very optimized and we use Persistent Connection to be able to manually serialize the data to minimize overhead.

Each client recieves around 1-3kb/s.

Whenever we reach 500+ clients, the socket gets really worn down. its a struggle establishing new connections, and the connected clients also suffer major spikes. The server still has ALOT of Cpu, Memory and Bandwidth headroom when this happends. It feels like its hitting some limitations, but what could it be?

When the server chokes it starts throwing exceptions

"An operation was attempted on a nonexistent network connection"

And a server restart is necessary to restore proper server functionality.

Edit:

Here's some data (Performance Counters etc.)

0 Players (The 5 socket connections is for the stress-testing servers)

300 Players (300 simulated, 2 actual, and 5 stress testing servers = 307 connections) Everything works fine. no spikes 

1000 Players (Clients start experiencing spikes in the game)

1500 Players (It never reaches 1500 connections, everything starts halting, clients starts dropping, and errors occur, Not sending Messages anymore)

After a while. (1563 reconnects, 1721 Disconnects, 0 messages send. lots of errors, signalR is broken at this point) 

As a side note, the "Stress-test servers" also lose their connection to the stress-test hub. which is a seperate Hub to the game Persistant Connection. They shouldn't theoretically affect each other, unless we are hitting som global limitations. Cpu never gets close to 100% 

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 2:43 PM

All replies

• User1724605321 posted

Hi bQvle,

I am not sure that is because  IIS connection limits when self-hosting with OWIN , you could firstly try to troubleshooting performance issues , please read here.

Best Regards,

Nan Yu

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:15 AM
  • User-1417985901 posted

Hi Nan Yu,

Thanks for answering, We tried upping the IIS settings, but unfortunately it has no effect. We have spend weeks trying to trobleshoot, but its not like we are getting any solid results. its hard to figure out whats happending when it just randomly falls apart.

Thats why I attached the images with Performance Counters (from functioning to falling apart). I'm not sure what to look at, so I'm just supplying the numbers hoping someone could get an idea of whats going on. or maybe recognize the issue.

Thanks,

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 10:36 PM
  • User-1200197853 posted

bQvle any solution in this issue ? We are projecting a use of 10.000 clients and we are worried about performance

Tks

Carlos

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:26 PM