none
SharePoint Online : I am not able to upload empty files, Can we allow it for upload somehow?

Question

• Hi Team,

I have a requirement to allow users to upload empty files in SharePoint document library which is not possible i know. But can we have some tricks/alternatives to allow the same? If so, can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance for consideration.

Regards.

Friday, February 9, 2018 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm afraid this is not possible to upload a empty file to SharePoint Online, it will display such message:

A workaround is to create a empty file with Office Web App in SharePoint Online, it will allow to store the file in the library:

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 12, 2018 10:19 AM

All replies

• Try something like this. 1. Create txt file add some text 2. Upload to SP 3. Clean file 4. Rename and change extension

Best Regards,
    Łukasz Antoniak

Please do take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", wherever applicable. Thanks!

Friday, February 9, 2018 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid this is not possible to upload a empty file to SharePoint Online, it will display such message:

A workaround is to create a empty file with Office Web App in SharePoint Online, it will allow to store the file in the library:

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 12, 2018 10:19 AM

• well, it is possible to zip empty file and upload zipped version. But I'm not sure will this workaround be suitable for you

Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    Dynamic CAML queries via C# - https://github.com/sadomovalex/camlex

Monday, February 12, 2018 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

You can mark the helpful post as answer to help other community members find the helpful information quickly.

Thanks

Best Regards

Friday, February 16, 2018 3:48 PM
  • Thanks for your help Jerry Zy!

Regards.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:10 PM