none
Columns usage best practices RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking for guidance/best practices as to how columns or list fields should be used. We have a little debate in our achitecture group regarding a targeted usage of a text column in SharePoint. Here's an overview of the situation.

We receive an EDI feed from one of our partner which we split and render each fragment as a PDF output which we store in SharePoint. Because of a particular business process with that partner, we need to keep that original EDI fragment (on which the rendered PDF is based) for a certain amount of time in case it needs to be resent to our partner. This EDI fragment would eventually be deleted once the PDF document is moved to an archive site and the data captured and migrated in our ERP.

My initial reaction was to treat the EDI fragment as a separate document in SharePoint but other people proposed to store that text data in a field on the PDF file for convenience (i.e. avoid losing the link between the rendered pdf and its source).

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Mathieu

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:00 AM asks for general guidance (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:43 PM

Answers